DVD Burner not behaving

AlanHo

My LG DVD burner has started playing up. When copying large files or a large number of files such as when doing a data back-up it suddenly stops recording and throws up an error message .........Data read or write error (Cyclic Redundancy Check). This seems to happen at random times - sometimes early in the recording and others when near the end.

I have no idea what a cyclic redundancy check is or what causes the error.

The problem has occurred since a recent reinstall of Windows XP - the burner was well behaved beforehand.

I have tried using device manager to uninstall the DVD and reinstall it - but the problem remains.

I have done a Windows XP repair. Still no luck.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled the LG DVD RAM Driver - but it made no difference.

Praying and/or cussing did not do the trick - I have not yet resorted to a physical attack on the machine but am getting close to it.

The problem occurs with DVD-RAM and DVD-RW media - I have not tried CD-R/RW or DVD-R yet but feel it will be the same.

Any ideas ?

:wallbash:

I am using the same discs I have always used for my backups. TDK brand which worked flawlessly before the Windows reinstall and are definitely not scratched. I also ran a full check disc on the media and found no errors.

I can generally drag and drop files to the DVD burner one at a time and get no problems - it is when I drag and drop a large file (say 130 Mb) or when I use my back-up software to back up my data (amounting to 2.4GB and 5500 files) that the problem rears its ugly head - but not every time.

I cannot burn DVD-RAM discs at a lower speed because they behave like a hard disc - you can drag and drop files to them using Windows Explorer or any other software and do not need any special burning software. Frankly - I don't know why this format is not more popular for data storage - the media is more robust and can be written to and deleted 100 times more than DVD-RW or DVD+RW. In my opinion an ideal back-up medium. (When it works of course)

I forget to mention in my original posting that I also downloaded and installed the latest LG DVD firmware.

I also tried uninstalling the DVD-RW burner software provided by LG (B's Clip etc) and installed Pinnacle Instant CD+DVD burning software in its place - but still no luck. It all seems to point to the link between the operating system and the burner - or am I being too simplistic in my ignorance.

trackrat

WOW - now all is revealed - but what does it mean in practical terms. I am getting a computer freeze due to a CRC - but what causes it and how do I cure it ?

The info you provided is fascinating - but with my limited knowledge of computers

it is the equivalent of giving an octopus a set of bagpipes. He won't know what to do with it - but eventually will work it out - and it will not be to play a tune.

From the information you provided ot appears that the computer chokes on a validity test applied by a CRC test - some complex mathematical formula decided that the copy process has had enough and will retire from service. But why, how and when ?

I am not all that au fait with the technicalities of computers - I would class mysel as an advanced user but very limited on the technical side. Hence I have a rough understanding of the info you provided - but don't know what to do with it.

I forget to mention in my original posting that I also downloaded and installed the latest LG DVD firmware.

I am not saying that this is tha cause of your woes but, it may be.

I am a great one for the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" philosophy. I would never contemplate flashing my BIOS, firmware upgrading anything at all unless it was absolutely necessary - indicated by the equipment in question was not working.

Pops

I take your point - but I only tried the firmware update after all else had failed.

Taking my weekly back-up today was a real chore. I had to manually copy small blocks of files - it took me nearly four hours. Normally I just click on the back-up icon and retire to the conservatory for an afternoon beer or G&T for an hour or so whilst the computer does its stuff.

I have now sent an Email to LG support to see if they can help.