Laser Printing

-pops-

This post was prompted by the one from ellas regarding the fooling of Epson inkjet cartridges.

Have you thought how often a black and white printout would be perfectly adequate but you are more or less obliged to print in colour because your printer does that?

A couple of years ago my son bought me a Samsung mono laser printer (model ML1210). It was only £50 or so.

This printer, cheap as it was, has worked damned hard since I've had it with no complaints from either me or it. It's printed many thousands of pages and it is still going strong. It prints 4000 sheets from one cartridge and the cartridges cost about £50. I refill the cartridges myself now and I can get about 8 refills from the 3 for 2 offer at cartridgeco for about £60.

Simple arithmetic shows that it is almost negligibly cheap on ink per page.

I would never consider going back to inkjets for day to day "dogs body" print jobs. I do, of course, keep an Epson C80 for colour when it is needed.

Have a think about the economics :)

I know someone who has an old dot matrix printer that is still going strong!!!!  :)

That isn't me - but today's funny story ?

I bought a Nec P7 Pinwriter 24-pin wide carriage printer s/h from work in 1995 for £5.

I haven't used it for 12-18 months, but today out of the blue, they rang to see if I by chance still had it :o as their "proper" main system (impact) printer was broken, the spares for it will take a week, their backup had also broken and they needed to do a 1,000 cheque print urgently.

I came home, dusted it off, took it back with a new ribbon I had and they gave me £25 for it ! :D Great ! - it was going to be recycled in a skip next week.

When I asked how it was later on, they said "working - but its a bit slow !" :o - they were the ones who said it was obsolete 9 years ago.