Words and Language

nellie2

Since the advent of computing there have been lots of words added to our dictionary, like internet and googling for example. Words that we were familiar with now have different meanings. If someone talks to me about a card... I think about a PCI card not a birthday card, then there is post, forum, thread, mail and so on.

How has the internet affected you with the way you communicate and interact with other people??

Do you think email and chat are good.... do you have reservations? What is it that makes you spend your time here and other places on the internet?

I'm interested!!!! :)

I am in the process of carring you a research project looking at how Email is used for communication. My view is it seems to have been accepted as "a good idea" without anyone actually thinking of the costs that are associated. I may come looing for some opinions on this later on in the month! If anyone is seriously interested in this research get in touch and I'll be happy to discuss it in more detail.

However, have just read a very interesting book called Alphabet to Email that looks at how English language has changed over the years and what impact technology has had on this. The style of writing is certinally something that is covered.

Have just bought another book (Language and the Internet) so when that comes will hope for similar trains of thought.

Will keep a close eye on what happens here!

Guest Shirley_Crabtree

The internet has just speedened things up...and looking at Sir_Radfordins post made us more prone to typos!!

I email lots of people around the world BUT I get much more pleasure putting pen-to-paper and writing letters to people.

Call me old fashioned but that's just the way I am :rolleyes:

Shirl.

Nooooo no dictation going on here...never did manage to get my head round that idea!

My point was before "one" (as in people!) typed one couldn't make typos as they would have to have been something else!

I do however wonder how much of the poor 'english' is as a result of computers and how much as a result of the education we were given. I haven't a clue about grammer, punctuation, spelling, verbs, nouns, tenses and all those other 'technical' aspects of putting words on paper. And without wishing to boast I've still managed to get several GCSEs, a few A-levels and still have a 1st within my grasp at degree level!

All rather worrying isn't it? Or is it...does the technical aspect of English really matter (apart from to the fussy few who write books like Eats shoots and leaves?)

d00d! u R an 31337 hax0r

^^ That's what the internet and chatrooms have done for the english language!

Actually, I think that kind of language is ok so long as it's kept on the net, it's when it's crossed over into other areas such as letter writing for example that I dislike it.

For instance, I was recently promoted and given the task of finding a replacement for my old position, the handwritten applications left ALOT to be desired! At least one of them contained some form of text/net speak such as:- ur (your) and 2morrow (tomorrow) it was really quite disturbing when you consider these were application forms for a position that involves daily report writing!

Needless to say, they got a swift letter rejecting their applications! :P

...does the technical aspect of English really matter (apart from to the fussy few who write books like Eats shoots and leaves?)

Only if the content is important and worth communicating accurately. If its meaningless mush to start with then who cares ? Bit like baby drool really.

How has the internet affected you with the way you communicate and interact with other people??

The Internet is our salvation, that's how important it is. It's worldwide, fast and by far the most important social innovation since the printing press. I only handwrite to elderly relatives . If I meet sombody who isn't on the 'net I find out if they'd like to be. If so, I try to help to get them up and running; an old machine, buying advice, whatever. If they are scornful of all things computers, and a great many people past fifty are, then I just avoid them in future. No compromises.

I love talking to people who are more computer literate than I am. I ask questions, pick their brains and see if I can tell them something they don't know. If they don't want to know, and a lot of older computer people don't, then I avoid them in future too. So, the 'net has a need for, and can quickly create, open-minded and intelligent people. It's still in its infancy and its potential is as breathtakingly exciting as our future without it would be unimaginably horrendous.

PS. If I could have conveyed the above more accurately using eDrool please PM me and tell me how. :)

I've always been very lazy when it comes to writing letters. Since my sister has been in Oz she has been lucky to get one or two letters a year. Now that we both have computers we exchange e-mails two or three times a week.

I have always enjoyed sending and receiving ahnd written letters - usually had about 8 - 10 penpals on the go.

The computer has made me lazy - so much easier to communicate short and often.

Unfortunately all but 2 penpals have faded away - even though they have computers, thay aren't all keen to keep in touch through email. A few are now email buddies though - and I feel I know them better.

Personally I feel I have gained something from interacting with people on forums - the art in it is to not believe all that you read!

:)

the art in it is to not believe all that you read!

I would agree with you whole heartedly there artist.

All too often people take offence because something is written a certain way and what is meant as a subtle joke... becomes an insult!!! Because there is no body language to read we can only interpret the written word as it is displayed to us. I am sure this has led to a few misunderstandings.