MMR

moon

Moon, I just caught a part of a TV report, ITV I think about the MMR issue, in it they were talking about Dr. Wakefields findings, they were saying that in his first study which involved 12 children 66% of parents blamed the MMR jab for their childrens condition, but that he did a second study with 18 children and this figure dropped to 12% of parents blaming the MMR vaccine, they also stated that there have been several other investigations in Britain and worldwide by medical people including one in the British Medical Journal and they have not been able to establish a link with the MMR jab and Autism.

They also spoke of Dr. Wakefields decision not to tell the Lancet of the fact that he had received £55,000 from the lawyers of parents fighting for compensation, this has got to be one of his biggest mistakes as it has given his detractors a big stick to whip him with, frankly after seeing the part of the report I did, it leaves me thinking that he could be wrong.

Ranger, I don't have a clue if he's right or not. I've got a good nose though and when I see his funding terminated and the 'victim's' legal aid stopped there is an aroma of Ratty.

No offense, but I'd have to see a link to the 'details' you mention. Protocol. As it stands the slant is that Wakefield made personal financial gains. That ain't the Wakefield I saw on telly.

No offence taken, I was only stating what I saw on a news report, I had a look on the ITV website to see if there was anything about it, I couldn't find it, but I also looked at BBCi and found a few items on this debate, I have put at the bottom part of a Q&A on the site, if you want to read the full report the link is BBCi MMR there is links to other information on MMR, in fact in one of the Links talking about a doctor involved in the original research it states "he has consistently said there is no proven link between the jab and autism"

like you I don't know wether he is right or wrong and didn't see him on the telly to make my measure of him, but it is now looking like people not giving their children the MMR jab could pose a greater risk than not, but that is up to parents to take advice and make up their mind on that (without undue pressure).

I do believe they should be able to have these jabs separately if they wish, but remember, there is always a risk involved in any type of vaccine to some people, and who knows, somebody may prove that you increase the risk of something happening threefold by 3 seperate jabs

Q&A: The MMR debate

The jab protects against mumps, measles and rubella

The medical journal at the centre of a row over controversial MMR research says it should not have published the paper.

BBC News Online examines the long-running debate over the safety of the three-in-one jab and this latest twist.

What is MMR?

MMR is a combined vaccine against measles, mumps and rubella, three common infectious diseases of childhood.

It was introduced in the UK in 1988 to replace single vaccines for each disease.

It is used in countries throughout the world, with millions of doses delivered each year.

Why are people worried about it?

A research paper published in 1998 in the Lancet was the trigger for the present MMR crisis.

This suggested a link between autism - a developmental disorder which often arises in the first few years of life - and inflammatory bowel problems.

Importantly, what it did NOT do was suggest that there was any evidence MMR was connected to either of these problems.

However, it said that studies were "underway" to pursue this theory.

In press statements following the publication of the paper, Dr Andrew Wakefield, the lead author, said he felt there might be a link between MMR and autism and said that single vaccines rather than the combined jab should be offered to parents.

I feel that chemical companies should be forced to accept responsibility for exhaustive testing of any new chemicals delivered into the environment for their profit. They should be made to deposit funds with the government , enough funds to cover damages in cases brought by the public. As long as it is the governments money at risk then testing will be slack.

Not long ago, adjacent to fields being sprayed with crop chemicals, there were several instances of babies being born with no eyes. I'm not speaking of some third-world testing ground, I'm describing Lincolnshire, U.K. An area adjacent to fields in my own village has an abnormally high cancer cluster. In fact, apart from one suicide, I don't remember anybody who lived up there dying from anything else. The horror of Thalidomide is still fresh in my mind. Who was responsible for that outrage ? Who paid ? As long as there is any doubt at all the government should fund research and that goes for MMR. Somebody has raised doubts. Hundreds, if not thousands , of parents suddenly have sick children. Meanwhile, the only criticism levelled at Wakefield is that he was in contact with these devastated families at the same time as he was researching MMR. What sort of criticism is that ? No doubt his private life has been scrutinised by MI5. There is plenty of money for that sort of research.