art or not?

Andy-2004

Why not doodle on sheets of paper taped to the special walls? Then after the contest the paper and doodles can be sent to a recycling centre. I'm afraid this sort of thing does not appeal to me, I seems to be a sort of "in your face" activity.

Andy, "Art" is relative to the beholder.

Do I consider a statue of a naked, pregnant, disabled woman art? No, I consider it obscene!

Do I consider a pickled cow art? No, I consider it to be a tasteless waste of time and effort!

Do I consider an unmade bed in the Tate Gallery art? No, I consider it to be a practical joke by the"artist"!

As for graffiti, I cannot see how anybody in their right mind, can call a sprayed on depiction of a vandals tag to be art.

If you give a blank wall to a group of graffiti "artists", the ones with some modicum of artistic talent may well produce an effective mural. The simple mindless idiots who know no better, will simply cover the wall with their tags. These people cannot be considered to be artists, they are simply uneducated morons who think that it is fun to mark their territory.

Mr. M.

Guess it'll depend on how you define art doesn't it?

It may well be an act of vandalism but that doesn't stop it from being art.

How often have we heard things being refered to as an 'art form'?

Just about definition going seems to be found here: http://www.ibiblio.org/otis/notes/art.html

As for these pictures then my view is yes they are an art from - one that I may not agree with or appreciate but art all the same.

Guest Shirley_Crabtree
OK what if u seen this at a local graffiti contest on walls build for only painting on

would your say that it is good art then....would you agree that the artists have talent?

That's a good point...and NO it is still rubbish.

The "artists" may have talent but it is wasted on tags and scrawls.

And where do they practice this "art"?

I'll tell you....on the sides of trains and tube-stations where they make a god-awful mess.