HDD and file systems

I'm just about to format and partition my new hard drive..... or should I say partition and format!!  :huh:

Anyway..... I'm going to put four partitions on it.  I could make them primary partitions but I am not going to put an o/s on them... as it is just for backups and file storage etc.

So.... should I create an extended partiton to stick logical ones in or shall I just make them primary seeing as it is going to be no more than four???

Linux will need a Primary Partition to install to.

O/s 's on Primary of which a maximum of 4 on one HDD...

Create a Primary then logical, then extended... and leave the rest of the drive as free space...

When you install Linux point it towards the free space and it will do the rest.

So.... should I create an extended partiton to stick logical ones in or shall I just make them primary seeing as it is going to be no more than four???

That would be a lady's prerogative - to choose whatever she thought best !

When you choose to run a regular format on a volume, files are removed from the volume you are formatting and the hard disk is then scanned for bad sectors
If you choose the Quick format option, format removes files from the partition, but does not scan the disk for bad sectors.

Well I never knew that ! :blush:

Aplogies nel !

It's alright Boris.... you will be an expert on it if we ever get another question on formatting!!!!  :)

I doubt it !

I can't even remember what I had for tea tonight - I'm that nackered ATM !