HDD and file systems

1st question....... If I had a new hdd and wanted to install Linux on a bit of it... does it have to be formatted as FAT32 and a primary partition?

If yes to the above... then here is my 2nd question. I want to use the other bits of my new hdd as a backup drive, but my windows xp is NTFS.... will I be able to take an image of an NTFS drive and stick it on a FAT32 drive???

ok........ I have a brand new unformatted 80gig hdd. I want to split it into two 30gig and one 20gig partitions. One of the 30gig is for my linux experiment... the other 30 gig if for my backups and the 20gig is where I want to put my downloads. Strictly speaking I would like the 30 and 20 to be NTFS I suppose.... but they don't have to be

How would I format the drive then??? If Linux is going to be on a bit of it. Sorry if it is a dumb question but I haven't gone down this road before.

1) Linux CAN read NTFS and FAT32 Partitions.

Its best to install Linux on Free Space. However you can install to it an NTFS or FAT32 partiton but this will overwrite any information of the partition and Linux will use its own file system.

Yes a primary partition...of which a max of 4 can be on a HDD. This does not include any other partitons, logical, extended...

2) Yup.

ok........ I have a brand new unformatted 80gig hdd.  I want to split it into two 30gig and one 20gig partitions.  One of the 30gig is for my linux experiment... the other 30 gig if for my backups and the 20gig is where I want to put my downloads.  Strictly speaking I would like the 30 and 20 to be NTFS I suppose.... but they don't have to be

How would I format the drive then???  If Linux is going to be on a bit of it.  Sorry if it is a dumb question but I haven't gone down this road before.

From XP click start, run type:

diskmgmt.msc

Click OK you can create you partitons here.

Once you have your drive in, come back here and we'll proceed :)

Note: Actuall partiton sizes will not be as you want and you will not have 80GB to play with.

Yes I know about the partition sizes... I was just being general. I forgot about xp doing the format thing... I could just get it to format the two drives I want and leave the Linux space raw for now couldn't I??

Note: Actuall partiton sizes will not be as you want and you will not have 80GB to play with.

Yes I know about the partition sizes... I was just being general. I forgot about xp doing the format thing... I could just get it to format the two drives I want and leave the Linux space raw for now couldn't I??

Yes...

Linux will actualy create and format a further 3 partitions. Although you can change this but best to let it have its way - Easiest.

3?

Partition 1: Root [Where Linux gets installed to]

Partition 2: Swap

Partition 3: Home [where all your docs go]

I Think the above is right [ish]

You can use Linux's own partioning tool to create your Linux partitions but as i say lets it have its way - Easiest.

Not 3 - 10GB Partitons they will vary...

Let me get you my screenshot of mine to shown you ;)

I'm just about to format and partition my new hard drive..... or should I say partition and format!! :huh:

Anyway..... I'm going to put four partitions on it. I could make them primary partitions but I am not going to put an o/s on them... as it is just for backups and file storage etc.

So.... should I create an extended partiton to stick logical ones in or shall I just make them primary seeing as it is going to be no more than four???