Remote Procedure Call

I am in the process of repairing a friends very sick PC, I have managed to format the Hard Drive & loaded their newly puchased copy of WindowsXP Home.

In order for me to test thoroughly & load viruscanner etc to recieve updates, I guessed it would be a good idea to load my ADSL Software/Hardware for speed & to test for their impending arrival of Broadband....

I have hit upon a problem though, after a short time online an error screen appears, citing a remote procedure call error...this then shuts down & restarts the PC after 60 seconds.

Has anyone had this problem b4? I seem to remember I have hit upon this b4, but I can't for the life of me remember why or how I got over it.

TIA

Mike.

P.S. cant be sure this is only a problem with ADSl at the moment as the 56k modem is not being recognised due to missing drivers :censored:

Unfortunatley, on a new install, Blaster is just waiting to jump in. You should really be updated and protectec before you connect to the internet. Which is a bit difficult seeing as we have to download the updates. :huh:

Never fear though, M$ have very kindly provided SP1 and all critical updates up to Feb 2004 on disk, for free!!!

http://www.windowsforum.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=8150

Unfortunatley, on a new install, Blaster is just waiting to jump in.  You should really be updated and protectec before you connect to the internet.  Which is a bit difficult seeing as we have to download the updates.  :huh:

Never fear though, M$ have very kindly provided SP1 and all critical updates up to Feb 2004 on disk, for free!!!

http://www.windowsforum.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=8150

Does anyone else recieve an error when trying to download from this link? I get the same error saying site is unavailable when I try to download updated version of stinger too :angry:

Beginning to wonder if my own machine is infected with something now or am I paranoid :unsure:

P.S. The XP I installed has the SP1 already on it :o fat lot of good that was!!

Wrong Link SorrySee later post!

Hello swifter_uk, I have just downloaded both the files, so I guess that it rules out site errors.

It is possible that your machine is infected with a virus. Some viruses have the ability to prevent a machine from connecting to the major anti-virus websites.

try this link, where I have replaced the name with the ip address

http://67.97.80.95/products/mcafee-avert/stinger.exe

Is your own AV software running properly?

Mr. M.

Oops :blush: just read the first page of this thread. You have got a virus and are trying to remove it :blush: