Networking with Blueyonder

maddogmatilda

I have have a Packard Bell PC on windows XP and a Hewlet packard being delivered next week also on XP. I am connected to Blueyonder broadband via a Motorolla Surfboard SB4200 modem on the packard bell pc. I am hoping to set up a network between the two PC's using a router (wired) I have been looking at a Linsys SEFSR41 router. Now I believe blueyonder use MAC address instead of IP address and that this router can clone the IP address as a MAC address and fool the modem into thinking that the router is my network card. If this is the case will this mean I dont need to register the router and the other Pc's IP address with Blueyonder. I also believe I should connect the Router to the modem with a crossover cable, but will I need the ordinary RJ45 cable to connect the pc's to the router. Once the cables are connected is it best to use the Network setup wizard in XP and will I have to do this on both PC's.

Hope someone can help.

:rolleyes:

Firstly, you may as well register the MAC address off the router though Blueyonders Self Care. It may take up to 24 hours but is really simple and then you know you've got that bit right.

You will need to connect the router to the PCs using normal CAT5 cable, and am fairly sure you use normal (and NOT crossover) to connect to the modem (think thats what I've got!)

You can use the network wizard and it should work, best to start with one PC and follow it though to completion when you can create a disc that will allow you to configure other PCs in the network.

Its all fairly simple! Honest!

I am on blueyonder and have two XP pc`s networked through a D-Link router.

When I set it up I had to go on the web and type http://192.168.0.1 and this bought up a wizard which did everything for me, including the MAC address,and I did not have to register it.

I also share files and the printer through the router.

The D-Link DI 604 is also half the price of the lynskys router.

To connect the cables I just plugged the Motorola modem into the wan connection and ran straight cat 5 cables to the Lan ports on both machines.

If you run into any trouble Blueyonder will not help with networking.

Hello maddogmatilda, firstly may I say welcome to the Forum.

I see that your questions have pretty much been answered :D , but I would just like to add a few things. I personally use a Linksys, and have had no trouble whatsoever with it. I can also recommend Netgear products, and whilst I am not familiar with the D-Link, they do have a pretty good name and I can vouch for the reliability of their NIC's.

A quick rule of thumb, you would use a crossover cable when connecting a pc to pc, but a straight through cable when connecting to a router/switch/hub. That rule usually applies to modems etc. as well, but there is always the odd exception.

Adding the router really is the best way to go forward, both for ease of sharing and the additional security. Famous last words here, but it should take you less than 10 minutes to setup.

Don't forget, if you get stuck or have a problem, there is bound to be somebody here who will be able to help you out.

Regards. Mr. Mouse.

Hi, 10 mins, I expected it to take much longer than that, I'll be glad when it's all over though maybe it will stop the kids arguing whos turn it is on the PC (one plays online gaming(starwars galaxies) and the other chats to mates on MSN. Maybe I might get more than a quick glance.

Thanks for the info :clapping:

No really 10 mins is all it could take :D

Apart from having to register a MAC address with Telewest (and only that because of problems with getting the clone right) all I had to do was plug in the modem to the router, the PCs to the router and it just worked.

You don't even have to have your PCs networked for them to be able to get online with the router. It really IS that simple!