Building 64bit machine.

Guest ellas

moon you have built 1 computer that took months and the help of the whole forum and you now think your a computer builder capable of building a 64bit machine,your also a aussie so please if its really your mate dont build it and let a proper british computer builder do it.

only kidding moon :P why dont you look at craigs signature for what hes used for his 64bit machine.

moon you have built 1 computer that took months and the help of the whole forum and you now think your a computer builder capable of building a 64bit machine

You think I'm being over-ambitious ? What if I went for the 63bit instead ?

Big bro, powerless. Fastest possible. :D

Edit; Craig runs an Intel, doesn't he ?

from Craig's signature:

Computer Build

AMD Athlon 64 3200+ Processor

Crucial 1GB ECC Registered PC3200 DDR400 RAM

MSI K8T Neo-FIS2R Motherboard

Maxtor 160GB ATA133 Hard Drive

Maxtor 200GB SATA Hard Drive

PowerColor 9800XT 256MB Radeon Graphics Card

The AMD Athlon 64's are the budget ones...

The FX range are the flagships for the home desktop...But they'll cost you.

AMD Athlonâ„¢ 64 FX Recommended Motherboards

AMD Athlonâ„¢ 64 Recommended Motherboards

As for Video card...Well you would have to get the newer Nvidia cards [6800] and the ATI card [X800]. Which will soon become available...

HOWEVER!

There is apparently a socket 939 [thinks] CPU from AMD coming which is something to wait for so i'm told, so maybe you should wait to see what becomes of that.

Ta. I'm currently drawn to;

GIGABYTE "GA-K8NNXP" nForce3 150 Motherboard Chipset Motherboard for AMD Socket 754 CPU

AMD Athlon64 3400 64bit 754Pin CPU

I've built 4 machines now, all with Gigabyte mobos ( nForce2) , and I'm very pleased with them. The Athlon 64 3400 is around £300 and that's about all he can muster for a CPU. He's looking at a grand without the monitor so that leaves a good wedge for a grahics card.

Beantech Igloo case again ( brill) and I'll have to find a CPU fan that can do the job. The first retail XP 2700 that I used ran hot with the AMD fan provided.

Edit; This looks tasty;

http://www.thermaltake.com/coolers/venus/si/a1772.htm

Yes Moon.. I have exprience with it. It's a really good board if you'll be running at stock setting. Then again if you're gonna be running at stock settings then i'd recommend getting a board based on the K8T 800 core logic since there are slightly better performers. If your friend is inclined to wait a little bit until june then AMD will be releasing it's 939 Pin Athlon64 FX CPU that uses unbuffered ram and a dual channel memory controller along with a MoBo based on the K8T 800 PRO core logic. Don't get me wrong or anything.. there is nothing wrong with the nVidia nForce 3 core logic... the VIA chipset just has slightly better performance.

• 2 weeks later...
There is apparently a socket 939 [thinks] CPU from AMD coming which is something to wait for so i'm told, so maybe you should wait to see what becomes of that.

Yep, the sockets are due for a change soon.

The current 64bit socket will still be supported, but only 32bit chips will be made in the future for it.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...