SB4200 and Encore Router (ENAFN-R514-PR)

mxmurillo

Hello Everyone:

I am a complete newbie to networking and would like some help. First, I am running Windows XP pro sp1a using Earthlink Cable modem SB4200... I have a Realtek NIC card and I want to be able to configure the Encore Router with my system to share the internet with two (2) other computers I have here at home.

My problem is I can communicate with the router when connected to the modem... all lights indicate connection. I can cofigure the router with http://192.168.62.1 and enter setup. I'm just not exactly sure what to do. I have DHCP enabled as well as NAT services... I disabled DNS and Winproxy. No firewall. etc... I also MAC cloned my NIC's MAC address to try to spoof the modem. I know about ipconfig /all ....tried that to enter purtinent information into the router setup but still nothing. The router seems to communicate with the cable modem... except when I want to connect to the internet through Internet Explorer 6 sp2... I can't. It says website found... but it doesn't load anything it just hangs and then returns DNS error. Any help would really be appreciated. Before I run off and buy another router or cancel my Earthlink service for something else.

Regards,

Hello mxmurillo

'Fraid I can't help you but if you can hang on in there our resident networking guru has taken himself off for his annual jaunt to the Isle of Man for the TT races!!

Unless one of our visiting guru's (Spikeychris where are you??) can help you out in the mean time, I'm sure Mr M will give you the benefit of his wisdom when he gets back. :)

Hi mxmurillo

i've just been checking my ip configuration and router settings,

in ipconfig my DNS server is 192.168.2.1 and my router (belkin) is set to get the DNS "Automatic from ISP"

If your ISP has provided you with a DNS server address you may have to enter it manually in your Internet/WAN settings (or similar)

Hi mxmurillo, and welcome to the Forum.

Right, you need to check a few things first. You say that the dhcp server on the router has been enabled, but are your computers configured to use a dhcp connection, or are they manually set? They will need to be either set to pick up their information from the router, or you will have to manually edit them and ensure that the router address is entered as the default gateway.

If you run the ipconfig /all tool, it will tell you if the network connection has inserted the router address (192.168.62.1 as you claim, but is this correct? I would expect either 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.2.1) as the gateway, and what dns servers you are using.

You obviously have a good internal network connection, as you are able to communicate with your router, but you will now need to check if you can see further than that. Perhaps the simplest way is to ping an address you know the ip address for. I will give you an example to use 212.58.224.114 which is an address used by the bbc servers. If you get a reply from this, then your problem is probably related to the dns settings on the router, however if you are unable to ping an external address, then you either have no external connection, or the firewall on the router is preventing you from seeing out. As a temporary measure, disable the firewall on the router, untill you have a good connection, and then you can go about correctly configuring it.

Try these suggestions, and post back if you still have no connection.

Regards. Mr. Mouse.