Can't install M$ progs

Here's an interesting one:

I did some registry cleaning so not sure if it's connected to the prob; Frontpage 2000 was installed but wouldn't open, so I uninstalled and tried to reinstall. Install music plays but auto install doesn't work; tried RUN and d/click on setup a box appears 'preparing to install' then an error message comes up: 'This patch package

could not be opened. Verify that the patch package exists and that you can

access it or contact the application vendor to verify that this is a valid

Windows installer patch package.' Same thing happens with Office 2000 Small Business.

I have looked on the MS Technical Database but there's no solution.

Both MS discs are properly licensed cd's with product id's and have been

previously installed with no probs.

My pc is Windows 2000. I've run sfc /scannow and reinstalled W2k over itself,

but it could be a missing registry key or similar.

BTW other progs install ok. :huh:

Thanks for the link Big Elf. I tried the new installer pack but still no go. I've done a 'wipe' on M$ Office and FP2000 (although 3 FP empty folders can't be wiped). I've done a Win Dr scan and fixed 300+ merrors with NSW, and another sfc, but this has got me stumped.

The reg cleaners could be either CCleaner or RegSeeker, andsome.

I find automated registry cleaners to cause a lot more problems than they solve.

If you really want to tweak your registry, BACK UP EVERYTHING, then go into it manually, or at least make sure the program is telling you what it's removing.

And be careful when removing keys, while they may seem obsolete now, another program may require them down the road.