retard will need advice fairly soon ...!

Tankus

I think I had a fairly good deal on a laptop for the specs ... Its a discontinued advent 7039 that had fairly good reviews earlier on in the year ....I pick it up next week ........ I thought that I would try a bit of mobility ...!

plus my Athlon 2000XP is starting to wheeze ...!

ADVENT 7039

AMD Athlon 64 3000+ Processor

512 Mb RAM Memory

40 Gb Hard Drive

DVD ROM & CD ReWriter Drive

15" TFT Screen

64Mb ATi Mobility Radeon 9600 Graphics

Microsoft XP Home & Works 7.0

Wireless Enabled

4 x USB Connections

1 Year FREE Warranty

for £720 (inc vat )

Next job is to Wifi the house so that I can chill in the garden ..rather than veg in the home office ..........while here ..!

Ive got a BB frog USB modem ...If the laptop has a receiver built in ...is it all that I need is some sort of sender to plug in on the end of my modem, to the laptop ...and another receiver to my main 'puter .... and everything is linked ...?

very new to this ....!

My old 800 athlon is linked to my 2000 via a USB cable as I use the hard drive as my music backup .. Its slow but it works .....not to sure how to fit all this together .. inexpensively as I'm tapped ....

I think Ill leave the USB connection as it is ....

I f anybody has any suggestion on how to do this it would be welcome

Athlon 2000 has got an ethernet card nothing on the 800 .......I ve just bought a belkin wireless BBmodem router .....Need to think about the istructions ...Ill thin Ill have a bash on Sunday ......

The laptop rips along ...Runs DVD's and C&C generals without even a jerk , picked it up this afternoon ....It does run a bit hot though ...!

yep modem too .....

Just spent about 3 hours just trying to connect the laptop to my desktop via a USB 1394 network bridge adaptor/connector ....do you think I can get them to see each other .......?

went through both set up wizards , the cable is working ...but nothing .....going to give up as I have had enough .....Havnt even taken the router out of the box yet ....thats another mission of frustration

Also my XDA outlook refuses to configure so half the sync does not work either ...

plug and play ....my arse

I just plugged my netgear adsl wireless modem router in, put in cd for drivers, it worked first time, then stuck in a netgear wireless card into my laptop it just automatically took everything from XP and it's worked a treat ever since, in fact I am sitting with a beer in the garden at the moment writing this, not much help to you I know, but hey just persevere and you can do the same from the garden