0 reply threads

scuzzman

I don't see the point of this question.

If a thread has 0 replies and there is no bump or other response from the sender then it seems clear to me that he wasn't that interested in the first place.

How many zero reply threads are under consideration here? I haven't made any count but they must be very few.

I just think it would allow for faster resolutions to problems if one could either

a) view all posts with 0 relies

or B) syndicate the data

this would allow forum members to quickly reach the post and answer the question. I'm not sure about your habits, but I like to focus on the posts with 0 replies to get them answered, but I haven't the time to click through every forum looking for them.

As for the point of the question - I was looking for a link that gives me all posts with 0 replies. End of story. Clearly there isn't one, and I assume there isn't a search string that can be entered to return the same results.

In conclusion: It's been my experience that:

Higher speed of answer (or one at all) leads to more forum posts

More forum posts leads to more hits on

More hits on said search engine, results in more members

More members results in a higher speed/possibility of answer

Hence my point.

As for what exactly I'm looking for, here is an example from another forum I frequent:

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/se...on=norepliesall

How many zero reply threads are we considering here?

Is there a real problem?

For my own part, I view the threads from the Today's Active Topics header and will usually try and make some response to a thread that looks in danger of getting lost on to the second page to bump it back to the top.

I don't recall many, if any, threads that have not had at least one constructive reply within a reasonable time, perhaps you know different.

How many zero reply threads are we considering here?

Is there a real problem?

For my own part, I view the threads from the Today's Active Topics header and will usually try and make some response to a thread that looks in danger of getting lost on to the second page to bump it back to the top.

I don't recall many, if any, threads that have not had at least one constructive reply within a reasonable time, perhaps you know different.

In short, no, there is no immediate problem. But these types of boards grow, and do so very quickly. If the board admin/mods don't think this would be a good functionality to implement, then by no means should you/they do so. All I was originally asking is could it be done. Apparently not.

#EOF

In larger forums, like http://forums.techguy.org, posts with no replies can be pushed pages back in hours, sometimes literally minutes. I can see the relevance of scuzzman's question for the future.

Maybe something added to "My Assistant" which would show unanswered posts? It does show new posts since the last reset. I don't know whether it could be done or how to implement it though.

I do like that "My Assistant" by the way. :)

As far as I'm aware there isn't a way to check for unanswered threads across the whole board, you would have to do it forum by forum as Expertec has shown you. If you visit regularly then you can click on the View New Posts link at the top right... then pick out the unsanwered posts. But that list could be a few pages long when it is busy... the view new posts updates on each refresh though...so I find that a good way of keeping on top of what's being posted whilst I'm here too.

If I may quote myself:

If a thread has 0 replies and there is no bump or other response from the sender then it seems clear to me that he wasn't that interested in the first place.

Your opinions are highly respected. As noted, it was just a suggestion that obviously, at this time, is not needed. Thank you for your input nonetheless.

By the way: nellie2, there's an error in your signature:

it has this between the "Proud member" link and the sexy little santa girl

My comments were in no way intended to be patronising, and I take offense to the notion that they were.

As for nel's signature: it's not displaying properly on my screen, it's probably my browser. Just thought she should know.

I would include a screenshot - but it's not allowing me to do so.

The total filespace required to upload all the attached files is greater than your per post or global limit. Please reduce the number of attachments or the size of the attachments.

There is a screenshot here:

http://www.geocities.com/j_dorn3/sigscreenshot.bmp

Also - because this conversation has clearly gone off-topic, I'm going to close it.

I thought I'd better give a quick explanation.

My sig is meant to be viewed using the Christmas skin. I wanted to put a space inbetween the ASAP bit and the Santa girl pic. I tried using the html for 'space but that didn't work so I just coloured the characters to match the skin so they wouldn't show.

I thought I was being clever! :P

Anyway.. If you view the board with the Windows skin or the IPB default skin then my spacers will show!!

I'm working on being extra clever and hopefully by next Christmas I will have figured it out! :wiggle: