XP Q811493 Update Problem

Hi all ;) ,

I have just read this at Neowin....Also reported at The Inquirer.

Windows (XP) patch 811493 trouble

Posted by Neobond on 19 Apr 2003 - 12:37 CET | 14 Comments 

Thanks malebolgia for this one. WINDOWS UPDATE USERS and prudent sys admins might have installed the latest Windows patch without a thought. That might not have been such a good idea. The patch is meant to fix a hole in Windows Messaging but can end up causing a severe performance degradation.

To remove the patch: Start > Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs > Find Windows XP Hotfix (SP2) Q811493 > Click Remove > ignore Warning > Reboot by clicking Finish

The patch will be listed again on Windows Update when you next check for updates.

I have noticed a significant loss in performance since installing this patch yesterday. Has anyone else noticed??? (longer pauses when opening files/ folders etc). The update was posted HERE on Windows Forum Yesterday...

I am thinking of removing the file... ;)

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Cookie

Scarthy, try going back to a Restore point and see if it was the update.

I noticed recently that my Internet (B/B) seemed slower than it used to be. I installed and ran Spybot, cleared the 'muck' and things have improved.

Probably not related but I've been up since 4am so maybe I should shut up. :lol:

In a follow up to our post here on troubles with Q811493 patch for Windows XP y_notm has submitted to the BPN section that MS have posted a workaround on the WUv4 beta newsgroup (Windows Update v4)

Hi Everyone!

You may or may not have seen an issue where after installing Q811493 the machine runs extremely slow. What we have determined so far is that it is an issue with the anti-virus on there machines. If the customer is running EZ Trust they will need to disable the file monitoring service and if they are running Norton they will need to disable the auto protect service and the installation of Q811493 and this will return to system functionality to normal. Other Anti-virus programs that seem to cause this issue that we have heard of so far:

EZ Anti-virus Realtime

MacAfee version 7

Sophos

While an MS spokesperson was not immediately available for comment Neowin will attempt to confirm the above workaround, which appears to fix one security problem by compromising system security elsewhere (ie: no more auto-protect). People using the leaked SP2 update for Windows XP also reported problems after un-installing the patch which caused one of our members to re-install his system!

Taken from NeoWin.

;)

If the customer is running EZ Trust they will need to disable the file monitoring service and if they are running Norton they will need to disable the auto protect service and the installation of Q811493 and this will return to system functionality to normal.

Not sure on the English in this one??? I use NAV2002.

...Uninstall and re-install with Auto Protect OFF? or

...Just use machine without Auto Protect Enabled all the time? (no thanx)

hmmmmmmmm ;)

I had to do a sytem resore and can not download any critical updates at all now

I need the corruption database one as all my icons look like Internet explorer Icons

p.s. I am in touch with Microsoft Support(via e-mail) and they are trying to help me on this one

madboy33

Guest ellas

madboy what is going on you have the same system as me yet I have no problems,are you sure your problems are not down to 3rd party software,any chance you could tell us what 3rd party s/ware you have installed.

http://www.windowsforum.org/forum/index.ph...=ST&f=30&t=1676

My problems started around a week ago ,with a processor (Athlon) update.......When my windows update thingy in the task bar goes bling bling..I just click and download......(but the bloody thing immediately had boot problems)

My computer is still not running right after doing a system restore as an attempt to get rid of it...Still getting some strange beeps and clicks from the case (not the speakers) before windows boots.....and it has increased startup time by around 20 secs..........I think my bios has been flashed with something from MS that does not quite sit right with what Ive got ....But I dont have the knowledge to undo it . Plus I don't want to completely fry my Bios in error.......

Turned my auto update off ...and will be a bit more circumspect before downloading anything...

Not just me with probs then.....

"I have an AMD 2000+ Palimino processor with an Asus A7V266-E motherboard..NO Mobile pc...... Running a Tower system. I get this driver update appearing sometimes and sometimes not. Its supposedly for an AMD K7 Processor. But AMD and Microsoft claim to have No info. So I have not installed it."

Yep I do remember it saying something about an AMD K7 before I downloaded it..........

All Si soft states that my AMD Athlon 2000XP is a 7th generation (7x86) 1.67 Ghtz...........Same as in my system description.....

Well my system restore has not cleared the problem....Toying with the idea of a full reboot ....good excuse to put another bigger hard drive in as well .......

Maybe next time I get a free weekend....If ever...

Im a computer illiterate, so I dunno about the Bios thing...It is now stable ...but slower (slightly)...think Ill leave it until I reboot...I need to clean the *beep* out anyway..Used to do It every few months with 98se ......XP has made me lazy about backing up.....

Some burning ahead methinks................

Mad....sort that pict out...Its making reading the posts slightly irritating,

Guest ellas

anyone know why madboy has no active x for w/update and will it stop them installing,the updates have d/loaded into a temp but will not install.tried manual install but no go inf error.