USB1 and USB2 Compatability

Quote "The front USB ports can be enabled and connected, but please be advised that this process will decrease the speed of the rear USb ports and will output 1.1 USB standards"

I have never heard of this and is sounds a complete load of rubbish to me.

If a motherboard is equipped with 8 x USB 2 connectors then that is it. They can't magic themselves to USB 1 by using them surely.

I'll have a look at the manual that Boris has kindly found for us shortly. If, by any remote chance, what you are being told is true, then insist on having a M/B that doesn't have this stupid restriction.

I have now looked at the manual referred to by Boris and can find nothing that even hints at this rubbish yarn you are being spun.

Ask Computermarsters where they obtained this information and if they can make you (us) privy to it.

My last comment in my previous post still applies :)

Well there you go

On site visit today no mention of the USB degradation to 1.1 if the front ports were connected.

I casually mentioned this omission and was told the ports would degrade to USB 1.1 now that the front ones were connected. I produced the manual and showed him the spec, and that I had asked people on the forum. After a lot of bluster and my continued insistance he finally agreed the the ports would perform at USB2 speeds.

Thanks Pops and Boris job done. :D

BTW how do I check that they are USB 2 :ninja:

BTW how do I check that they are USB 2 ninja.gif

The simplest way is to plug in something that you know to be a USB 2 device (something that needs USB 2 to work at its most efficient) and look what comes up on screen.

If it's a USB 1 or 1.1 port you will get a message telling you. I can't remember the wording but, it's pretty obvious what it means.