USB1 and USB2 Compatability

Did this "advisor" give a reason why not?

My machine which I keep for the grandchildren has a USB 1.1 motherboard and a USB 2 PCI card installed. They work perfectly OK together.

NB. It also has firewire.

Well I've just bought a new PC with USB2 connections on the back and 2 USB connections on the front. The front one's dont work and when asked the guy at the shop told me they were USB1 and would not work when the USB2 ports at the back were connected he reakoned that you either had to run one or the other.

Another little problem

They installed a SB 5.1 card but did not give me a CD. When confronted with this I was told that this practice was being discontnued and that the software was available via download :blink:

Your front USB should have a cable comming from it, plugged into a spot on the motherboard. I cannot tell you what it looks like or where it is because every board is different. Is there anything hooked up in the front?

Also, Everest Home Edition will tell you what USB connections you have Maybe it won't, but usefull for finding your motherboard's website to obtain technical documentation to install the USB yourself.

Hi Lester.

Firstly let me say the same as everybody else.

USB 1 & USB 2 can run together on one computer.

There are lots of variations or combinations of how they are set up.

I have 2 USB 1 ports to the rear connected directly to motherboard.

I have 2 USB 1 ports on a riser card also connected to the motherboard.

I have a USB 2 PCI card with 4 external ports and 1 internal port fitted.

I have a USB 2 front bay hub 4 ports connected to the internal port of the PCI card and all are working perfectly.

The front hub has its own power supply off the psu.

when asked the guy at the shop told me they were USB1 and would not work when the USB2 ports at the back were connected he reakoned that you either had to run one or the other.

lester1

Which cowboy outfit :angry: did you get this from ?

If "marsters" is a deliberate misspelling of masters intended to snare the unwary, I suggest they change it to something on the lines of Computerincompetents.

What a load of rubbish you have been told.

If what they say is true about that particular machine, then it seems to me that they are offloading a stock of obsolete (and very old) motherboards. I would doubt very much that you could get a new M/B with USB 1.1 capabilities nowadays.

If what they say is true about that particular machine, then it seems to me that they are offloading a stock of obsolete (and very old) motherboards. I would doubt very much that you could get a new M/B with USB 1.1 capabilities nowadays.

-pops-

The board in lester1's new PC is supposedly a Socket 939 ! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Don't think that USB 1.1 would be onboard on one of them :rolleyes:

lester1

Have these cowboys got a web site ? - I can't find anything obvious in Google ?

How did you find them ?

You would have been much better off with Novatech if this is typical of their "support" :angry:

Nearly

slightly slower processor 3000+ AMD 64

MSI K8N Neo2 socket 939 main board

512 mb ram

160Gb hard drive

multi format/layer DVD

16x DVD drive

17" TFT moniter

floppy drive

128mb gee force graphics card

soundblaster 5.1 sound card

Microsoft wireless keyboard and mouse

Windows XP home SP2 :o

And it looks like loads of hassle :(

According to the MSI website for that board, it supports:

On-Board Peripherals

On-Board Peripherals include:

- 1 floppy port supports 2 FDD with 360K, 720K, 1.2M, 1.44M and 2.88Mbytes

- 1 serial port

- 1 parallel port supports SPP/EPP/ECP mode

- 1 Audio jack(5-in-1), coaxial/fiber SPDIF out

- 8 USB 2.0 ports (Rear x 4 / Front x 4)

- 2 RJ45 LAN jack

- 3 IEEE 1394 connectors (Rear x 1/ Front x 2)

No mention of USB1 at all but 8 (yes, eight) USB 2 ports.

Strikes me that company employ a load of toss monkeys.

On-Board Peripherals

- 1 serial port

- 2 RJ45 LAN jack

:(

Time to go back to the shop lester1 and ask them to set it up with the right connections, and supply you with a CD for the 5.1 sound card. My SB 5.1 is OEM but still came with a disk containing the drivers and extra little goodies for the card. :(

Computermarsters
:o - I thought it was a typo !

No wonder I couldn't find them.

:angry:

I have to agree !

Most probably, they just haven't bothered to connect the front ports to the headers ?

Should take an amateur no more than 10 minutes. For a company whose

engineers have all been in the computing industry for many years, and regularly update their skills to bring YOU the latest developments !
- 5 minutes at most.

TAKE IT BACK and tell them its ****

From their own "About Us" page

The proprietor and other members bring a fresh approach to the computing business.

They're not joking - a fresh approach ! - unique more like ?

Heaven knows what their "Maintainence" is like ? - they can't even spell the word !

http://www.computermarsters.co.uk/maintainence.asp

Does your P.C need a spring clean? Is it running as well as it used to?

If you own a car, have you had it serviced within the last 12 months? We guess you have.. Has your P.C been serviced in the last 12 months however? A P.C is just like a car - it needs regular maintenance in order to ensure it runs like new, and never lets you down! So has your machine had an overhaul in the last 12 months? If not....

Then look no further!   ..whether it be a single machine, or a whole network of them! Computermarsters will call out and overhaul your system(s) from £25.00!

General PC Service

Have your P.C serviced, overhauled and FULLY CHECKED from only £25.00!

This service includes a  thorough servicing of your P.C. The removal of unneeded and unnecessary files WITHOUT RISK!

Physical internal and external clean of all components! Prevent Burnout!Our service results in a more efficient, faster, longer lasting machine! Contact Us for a free no obligation quotation!

As most members here, I've been in the industry a while, and have yet to "overhaul" a computer... is this a UK thing or are these guys joking?

I'm afraid they are not joking scuzzman. :(

People like ourselves who have some knowledge of PC's know how to keep our machines ticking along nicely, either through our own ability or by coming to forums such as this one. Unfortunately companies like the one mentioned take advantage of the average user who knows very little of the workings of their machine, slightest problem and they call these guys in. :(

To echo Djohn's remarks, I've lost count of the number of times that I've been asked to look at someone's computer after it had been returned from an "overhaul", "checkover", "MOT", or whatever euphemism is used and found to be not working properly.

Twice I've looked at a machine in which the whole hard drive had been wiped during one of these cleanup operations. OK, a cleanup is one thing but to strip absolutely everything out is just not on. I've looked at machines that became strangely silent after a visit to PCW and switched itself off after a minute or so only to find they'd forgot to reconnect the fans. On one occasion I looked at a machine where the drawer of CD drive just kept on opening and closing - in this instance, they'd forgotten to push the IDE cable fully home.

Remember that people pay out money to have this utter incompetence thrust upon them.

On-Board Peripherals

- 1 serial port

- 2 RJ45 LAN jack

-pops-

They say that enabling the two case USB ports will reduce the USB to 1.1

Quote "The front USB ports can be enabled and connected, but please be advised that this process will decrease the speed of the rear USb ports and will output 1.1 USB standards"

They have installed

the optional D-Bracket 2 Connector: JDB1 to the back of the case. The motherboard manual says these should be connected to either JDB1 and JUSB1 or JUSB2

Please advise the MD is coming to meet me on Monday :D