Do you or don't you.........

deuces wild

I agree up to a point.  Sweetest Day, Secretaries Day, all made up holidays.  But honoring your wife or mother once a year is not a problem, at least for me. :)

Absolutely agree.

I definately appreciate being appreciated.

I think you're a lovely man dw!! Wouldn't fancy being married to the other cynics on here!

:P

We always bought my mother and mother in law a gift on mothers day or took them out somewhere, when they were alive. However, for some years now I have always made my own cards, and people are always appreciative of the fact that their card is unique, and has taken more of my time in making, than a quick look round a shop card shelf.

Honouring your wife or mother should be foremost at all times, not just one day a year when some marketing person decrees that you should buy (more of) his useless product.

I am not a Scrooge, I just try (or want) to live in a world not totally dominated by marketing, profit and commerce.

Honouring your wife or mother should be foremost at all times, not just one day a year when some marketing person decrees that you should buy (more of) his useless product.

I am not a Scrooge, I just try (or want) to live in a world not totally dominated by marketing, profit and commerce.

Exactly how I feel. It costs me more to make my own cards than it would to buy one, except of course for way over the top expensive ones. I use a good thick double sided matt photo paper, and it is not cheap. Run of the mill Christmas cards can be bought for a fraction of the cost, but making them gives me a lot of pleasure, and as I say people enjoy them. Judging by D.D's post regarding sweetest day, secretaries day etc, the US card makers are even more money grabbing than the UK ones. I just stick strictly to Christmas, birthdays, and wedding anniversaries.

I agree with the first comment - but not the second. Things like mothers' day etc only become 'commercial' if you want them to.

I agree with the first comment - but not the second. Things like mothers' day etc only become 'commercial' if you want them to.

So you think I am a Scrooge or have I read it wrong?

The "if you want them to" can be sometimes very hard to resist with the powerful techniques of the advertiser especially on the vulnerable, such as children. "Pester power" of a child is one of the most insidious and profitable marketing tools in existence.

So you think I am a Scrooge or have I read it wrong?

The "if you want them to" can be sometimes very hard to resist with the powerful techniques of the advertiser especially on the vulnerable, such as children. "Pester power" of a child is one of the most insidious and profitable marketing tools in existence.

I never said that!!! - I think it was dw....... :rolleyes:

And I agree with your second statement in this case.......

:D