Re-start problem

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The only ones I could find were in the screen shot I posted earlier for the Event viewer - system. there are no further entries even though I've been trying the re-start with the same problem. This may give a bit more info - when I click on the re-start, the PC goes through the shut-down then start up. Part way through it re-starts itself and eventually comes up with a DOS screen saying that Windows failed to start properly and gives a number of start-up options e.g.. Safe Mode, Safe mode with networking etc and finally start Windows normally. Selecting any of these and goes off and re-boots and finishes with the same DOS start-up screen. If I then select any one and do a hard switch off just at the start of the re-boot then do a cold restart I finish up with that DOS screen again but this time any of the options I select then work satisfactorily. Does this make sense and help to pinpoint where the hiccup is occurring?

Err no. I could do one tonight I'ver a DVD burner and the primary partition on the main drive has used 10.5 GB, I think the DVD's will take 4.7 GB. Suggestions as to proceedure. I'm just popping out to do a bit of door Knocking. Back later.

I think it my be too late for my idea of a re-installing from a backup. The idea should be to have the backup before things go wrong, not afterwards.

Making a backup now will only perpetuate the problem you have rather than offer an opportunity to get your system back to what it was before all of this happened.

My suggestion now is to back up all of the data and personal things you want to keep and do a clean re-install of Windows.

My experience is that when Windows has gone haywire like yours seems to have done, there is only one way to get it back to normal - to re-install and, with no backup, a fresh re-install.

Right, will get stuck in. I do have some partial backups. Crucial documents are on another drive. So it's just the recent e-mails, addy book (recent mods) and the my documents stuff. Then try and remember all the programs loaded and the location of the latest updates. I'm not a very good example for efficient PC use am I?

I think I should have described it as a plain text screen. Only gives 30 secs to make a choice but the gist I get is "

We apologise for the inconvenience, but Windows did not start successfully. A recent hardware or software change may have caused this.

Then it gives the following options

Safe Mode

Safe Mode with networking

Safe Mode with Command Prompt

Last known good configuration

Start Windows normally. Which ever option I choose it goes off into the abortive re-boots. As I said before when it shuts off and tries a re-start I switch off, then back on and press the start button. This finishes up with the same screen. The difference now is that whichever option I choose it then boots successfully.

I've run SFC /scannow with the original CD; Checkdisc on all drives; fixmbr. with no improvement.

Does this make things any clearer?

I think the problems you're experiencing, doug, are before Windows comes into action and device manager hasn't got going.

As I've intimated above, I fear the worst and the only practical way of getting over this is to do a new installation.

Back home after a session door knocking. Right have printed off Powerless' guide. Some of it I think I've already done. Any suggestions as to which repair options I should go for or should I just work down each one in turn?

Hmm, lots of options now becoming available. Have bookmarked that one as well Alan. Will start progressively doing up iodate back ups then get stuck in. Will report back on progress as time goes on. Will do this over the next few days. If it turns out to be hardware related I will be stuck as to identifying what hardware it is unless I go through removing all non-essential hardware and try the various boot options. That could be time consuming. Ah well as long as I'm not wasting time doing that W**k thing.