Re-start problem

Been searching without success. I'm having a bit of bother.After running for, say an hour, if I do a re-start I finish up in a continuous re-boot sequence where the start sequence doesn't quite get as far as the splash screen. If I do a shut down and cold start I can get up into Windows (XP Pro with SP2). This makes me think it may be a failing bit of hardware. I'm using a K7S5A MB with an AMD processor - 2200+. I'm running SMART and both drives are reported as OK. I've also run SFC /scannow with the CD in; I've also run chkdsk on both partitions of both drives. I had a thought that the CMOS battery might be iffy because the clock had suddenly become erratic. Changed it but still have the same fault. Have tried re-installing the motherboard but not sure if I've done a thorough job on it. Not sure where to go from here. Help. just logging off to water the plants then will be back.

Edeit This may have been better off in the hardware section. Correct me if I'm wrong.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just done a re-start and got the same problem. So switched off and re-booted and told it to boot to normal windows - OK. Here's a screenshot. As you can see there's some funny dates there.

post-64-1122153088_thumb.jpg

Yes, that's why I changed the battery. Measuring the old battery gave 3.05 volts so I don't think that could have been the battery. The screen shot was after I had checked the date before and after the re-start.

In my experiences, restarting and hanging are caused by 1 of 3 things.

RAM

VIDEO

HEAT

Heat is ruled out, as madboy said. Make sure your RAM is matched up, everest will tell you under motherboard > speed

Also check to make sure the video card is properly inserted, sometimes you have to nearly break the board to get them in right. Use caution, but make sure it is snug.

If there is a fan or heatsink on the card, make sure it is functioning correctly.