And there lies the rub ...!

Tankus

I wonder if the increased level of alcohol consumption will lead to an increase in anti-social behaviour?

I personally think it will this Christmas :o

We will have to wait and see, but I will be very surprised if it doesn't. What is it about the British that causes drink to bring out the worst in some people? I have not seen loutish behaviour in Europe where the drinks laws are more lax, except after football matches or when Brits are about.

The thinking is, of course that because we have stringent licensing laws people drink hard when they can. Australia used to be a good example of heavy boozing before throwing out (up??) time. Given an all day culture as exists on the Continent, it is hoped that binge drinking will be reduced.

We shall see. It has long been advocated as a possible solution.

Thos.

I will be surprised if the theory converts to fact. There is just something absolutely pathetic about these paralytic yobs. I enjoy a drink the same as anyone else, and can get a little merry in my own home, but I don't go round causing mayhem. There is something very wrong in their heads.

Given an all day culture as exists on the Continent, it is hoped that binge drinking will be reduced.

Thos.

The continental attitude to drinking alcohol is completely different to that enjoyed(??) here. In France, they will quite happily buy a bottle of wine in a bar or restaurant, drink one glass and leave the rest. Here in the UK, buy a bottle of wine and there is a compulsion to consume every drop therein and then proceed to another. Of course there are exceptions but the trend is as I have said (from years of working in France and observing the behavior of the inhabitants).

One thing that should be kept in mind, though, is that very few businesses of those eligible have actually applied for this extended licence but, unfortunately, the ones that have are those that attract the undesirable elements of the modern drinking culture.

I continue to be grateful that I don't need to take this, or any other, intoxicant to continue with my existence.

What is it about the British that causes drink to bring out the worst in some people?

Yes I know what you mean as on my street I have 2 pubs within a 5 minute walk of my house and there always seems to be yobbish behaviour most friday or saturday nights.

For example, shouting in the street and general brawling, smashing bottles on the pavement, damaging car wing mirrors and one particular habit that I hate and that is leaving empty cans and bottles on my window sill :angry:

We seem to get the Police called in most weeks and it is even worse now in the run up to Christmas! :o