...it just freezes

D4\/!d

The PC's been playing up for a few weeks now. It stops. By that I mean everything freezes. You cannot move the mouse, no keys work, not even Ctrl-Alt-Delete. Nothing.

All I can do to get out of it is press my Reset Button under the power on button, it reboots and all is well again - for a while. This problem is intermittent. Sometimes I can go for few days unhindered. Other days it crashes three times an hour. I've tried to ascertain what I'm doing at the time, or what programs are running. There is no pattern. It is random, sometimes just after a reboot, sometimes after a few days..!! :(

I do regular house keeping, ad-aware/spybot, pest scans, virus scans, firewall, defrag, chkdsk, scannow, you name it I've tried it. :o

I have Xp Pro SP2, with auto updates.

So what can you suggest please - a tricky one this..!! :mad:

I was thinking video card
Hello dadyassa, thanks for your suggestion. In fact the PC has been up and running for a couple of years now. The hardware has not changed. Nothing much has changed, except I'm now getting these random freezes. :mad:
Download this program and disable everything except systray & explorer and see if this cures your problem.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,1830362,00.asp

As dadyassa says a common cause is lack of memory on the video card.

Hello Alan, thank you too for your suggestion. However, I have very little in my startup to begin with. I prefer to load stuff as I require it.

The monitor, graphics card, and stuff have not changed. It's been running ok for many months :) . Until just lately :mad:

There is constant vibration in a computer from the fans (especially if their bearings are wearing) this vibration can result in plugged in components coming loose such that they have an intermittent connection.

Switch your machine off, remove the side and, ensuring you are earthed, check that all plugs, cards, pins, jumpers - anything that might be movable - is pushed fully into whatever it is supposed to be pushed in.

Thanks rong, I shall give a good Bloooww. :o

[Late Edit] Well I've been in. And now I'm out again. :blink:

I was surprised how little fluff and dust was in there. I used a little battery blower gadget that I was given a few Christmas's ago to do the puffing and sucking and whatever. Went round all the fans and thingies like you said, an wiggled "anything that might be movable" as pops said.

The lids back on and the PC works - well I'm typing this from it now..!! :P

I 'spose we just wait and see now.

If it freezes again, I'll be back for some more bright ideas.

In the meantime, many thanks to all of you for such helpful suggestions. :flowers:

If it shuts off with the restart button then powers back on and then its ok I assume ?

Maybe its a problem with the PSU ?

Trouble is it could be so many things, from loose connections, faulty sound or video card or PSU, fans not running and overheating.

Trouble is it could be so many things, from loose connections, faulty sound or video card or PSU, fans not running and overheating.
Yep. I know.

I've wiggled all the connections, reseated the graphics card, cleaned the fans and read the temperatures. Nuffin' :(