Acronis

Andsome, when you have restored the imformation to the D drive do an Acronis backup of both drives,

And on your external drive to delete an Acronis back up, just right click it and then click delete from the dropdown box, you may get a message saying that it is to big to put in the recycle bin but it will let you delete it anyway.

That is better than trying to format or delete partitions to get rid of files.

Many thanks. I don't really need to back up D drive on Acronis, as all my photo's are on CD. What I needed to do was get my D drive back, which I have now done, and put the photo's back on from the CD.

andsome

I have been using Acronis True Image 8 for quite a while - without any updates - and it is perfect.

I find it an easy programme to use and I have been forced to use it to successfully recover from a serious loss of data caused by my power supply blowing up big time.

Don't worry about it - just make sure you create a rescue disc and full hard drive image onto a separate hard disc or removable media ASAP - and then do regular back-ups

Will the rescue disk load the drivers for wirerless key boards and mouse ? :sad:

Just supposing, you have your H D cloned and backed up etc on an external drive. Then you get a major disaster on the PC and the replacement of parts etc is more than the cost of a new, much better PC. But the new PC has windows os on it already, can you just load all your programs etc without your old os, or will they not work because I think some of the files go into the os registery, dont they ?

I doubt if you can load your programs from the old drive. As you say, there are registry settings that wouldn't move over and you can't move the old O/S over as Windows now "recognises" the system it belongs to. You can, of course, transfer your files and settings to the new (XP) machine using the Windows Files & Settings Transfer Wizard.

Thanks for the reply pops, it hasn`t happened yet though :wink:

Would the transfer wizard take the old os reg files out and put them in the new reg ?

It would be really annoying to, say for instance, to have to load Nero and then update it, I have lost count of the times it has been updated and always biggies.

I am pondering as to try checking to see if the rescue disk will work for me, and boot up.

Looking at the above, I was under the impression that Acronis did a TRUE IMAGE, and that the whole operating system could be transferred to another hard drive if the first one fails. Am I wrong, and if so just what does it do? Would a replacement hard drive have to have Windows installed first? I am not at all clear on many points, and do find the help pages more than a little confusing, at over 70 pages. It's too much to remember.

As dadyassa says, Acronis images will transfer to a corrupted hard drive and effectively re-install everything for you and it will transfer to a new hard drive IN THE SAME COMPUTER.

It is a characteristic of Windows now that it "knows" the system it was installed in so if you place your drive in another machine it won't be recognised. I've even had it happen where I replaced a motherboard of same model (everything else being the same) and Windows told me it was a new installation and threw a wobbly.

The files and settings transfer wizard will only transfer your personal files and any adjustments (settings) you have made in programs to programs that are already installed. It will not transfer whole programs or any of the fundamentals of a program. So, if you are loading a new setup, you must install all previous software to permit the FSTW to work properly.

Thanks for the answers pops.

Regarding the lead, the replacement has now arrived from Western Digital. I decided to try something with the faulty one. I inserted a sharp pointed knife as far as it would go, and succeeded in removing the unwanted insert. The lead now functions perfectly.

Regarding the lead, the replacement has now arrived from Western Digital. I decided to try something with the faulty one. I inserted a sharp pointed knife as far as it would go, and succeeded in removing the unwanted insert. The lead now functions perfectly.

:w00t: :w00t: Probably part of the packing :wink:

:w00t: :w00t: Probably part of the packing :wink:

NO way, as you can see from the photo it was an insert with grooves in it.

Just my 2 cents: I've used Norton Ghost 2003 (usually DOS via batch files I wrote) for the past 2 years

and have never had any problems. At under $10, it can't be beat.

http://store.royaldiscount.com/synogh20fuve.html

Bugs

Each to his own. There is nothing wrong in using Norton Ghost, or any other reliable backup program if you prefer, but several members here (including me) have an antagonism towards anything Norton/Symantec.

The important thing is to have a reliable backup of your system and Acronis does this job simply and without fuss.