Acronis

I used a back up image to restore some files that I had accidently deleted.

Now every time i boot up it says looking for acronis bootloader and press enter to find the OS, then it boots into windows normally,

How do I rectify this, I have been into the BIOS and first boot is the hard drive and second boot is the DVD.

I also noticed in the choices for the boot devices have changed, does acronis alter the BIOS?.

I've not known Acronis to alter the BIOS. As far as I knew, all the Acronis boot disk does is to provide drivers to enable the system to boot from the Acronis backup.

Have you consulted the comprehensive manual that comes with Acronis or, you can get on line support (site seems down at the moment, though.)

So strange, today I switched on the computer and the Acronis problem had gone.

There is nothing so strange or absolutely annoying as a computer.

They are rather like women, especially blondes.

No sympathy even at Christmas for blondes Andsome, shame on you. :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

This may be of use to anyone who has a similar problem to mine, it is the reply I have just received from Acronis.

First of all, please make sure you use the latest build of the

program, which is available on our web site at

http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/support/updates/. To get access

to updates you should register your software first at

http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/registration/. Please disable

any download managers, internet download/connection boosters, etc.

before the download.

For now the latest build is 937.

After you will download updates we recommend you to completely

uninstall your previous version of the program, reboot the computer

and reinstall the software again. Note that you should recreate your

Acronis True Image Rescue Media with new reinstalled program to make

sure that your Acronis True Image Rescue Media is up to date.

Then if the problem would remain, could you please download Acronis

Report utility available at

http://www.acronis.com/files/support/AcronisReport.exe and run it,

create a report and send it to us? This would provide us with

detailed information on the hard disk partition structure.

Please also tell us what other Acronis software installed on your computer?

Do you have an Acronis Secure Zone activated?

Please also tell what the boot order for the drives the choices in

the BIOS have been changed?

When you made the Image You must have had the boot loader on the computer I suggest you run the Acronis True Image Setup to reinstall it. It loads a Driver so you can load individual files from the image. It Creates a temporary Drive for this in Windows Explorer when you double click a Image file it mounts the Image, to close the Drive you right click it and choose unplug

andsome

I have been using Acronis True Image 8 for quite a while - without any updates - and it is perfect.

I find it an easy programme to use and I have been forced to use it to successfully recover from a serious loss of data caused by my power supply blowing up big time.

Don't worry about it - just make sure you create a rescue disc and full hard drive image onto a separate hard disc or removable media ASAP - and then do regular back-ups

Thanks for the advice. I had an 80-GB external hard drive Western Digital bought for me. Believe it or not the USB cable is wrong. The end that plugs into the computer is the usual flat rectangular shape. Where there is normally a thin plastic insert and the rest is just empty, it had another plastic insert with four holes in it, so it just could not plug in. Western digital are posting me a new cable from Holland today. I have however set it up and reformatted it to NTFS using my printer cable. Has anyone seen such a lead before?

andsome

I have been using Acronis True Image 8 for quite a while - without any updates - and it is perfect.

I find it an easy programme to use and I have been forced to use it to successfully recover from a serious loss of data caused by my power supply blowing up big time.

Don't worry about it - just make sure you create a rescue disc and full hard drive image onto a separate hard disc or removable media ASAP - and then do regular back-ups

I too have been using version 8 for some time now without a problem, alan2273`s problem was that he did not unplug the virtual drive before he shut his machine down.

Just follow Alanho`s instructions and you will be allright.

Same here and I am a prime idiot. If it works easily for me then a powerful brain like yours, andsome, will have no troubles.

Thos. :smile:

This is the lead that I mentioned above. Has anyone seen one like it before?

They have some wierd cables :wink: WD sata cable is similar.

NO, it's nothing like that. The lead that I have shown has EXACTLY the same dimensions as a standard USB. It is just the extra insert that stops the lead from plugging in.

WELL, I have installed Acronis, and now I am completely puzzled. I had the choice of CREATE IMAGE, or DISK CLONE. I chose CREATE IMAGE. What is the difference, and now that I have it what use is it? Every time I try to explore it, I get a different drive letter asigned. I ended up with three extra drives shown in MY COMPUTER. I found out by trial and error, that I could right click and unplug. I then had to wait ages before I could safely turn off the new plug in hard drive, I kepI getting messages saying not to, but eventually it did say safe to turn off. I wonder if I would have been better staying with my old system of having to reinstall everything from scratch in the event of a problem. Trying to read the help pages just gives me a head ache. I had a look at printing them out, but there are over 70 pages. How the hell does anyone know what to do next in the event of a problem occuring. By the way, YES I did create a rescue disk, after two abortive attempts.

It looks like it is a lead that plugs directly onto the extra USB ports on the Mother Board, although the leads i am speaking of are not often finished like that (with the plastic surround).

Tony

It is a metal surround and plastic insert. The other end is standard for USB connection to a device. The photograph shows the end which is SUPPOSED to fit into the computer.

Andsome, when you have restored the imformation to the D drive do an Acronis backup of both drives,

And on your external drive to delete an Acronis back up, just right click it and then click delete from the dropdown box, you may get a message saying that it is to big to put in the recycle bin but it will let you delete it anyway.

That is better than trying to format or delete partitions to get rid of files.