Upload Problems

nellie2

A friend is having problems uploading images to his site, he sent me this email and I was just wondering if anyone has any suggestions!

trouble uploading image files

I am having trouble uploading image files. When I have up loaded they are

either only partly viewable or not there at all. I am using Terrapin FTP and

have been for a long time with out any problems. I have tried up loading

with Zilla in case my Terrapin soft ware was at fault but again the images

would not up load properly. I then tried to up loading to a different

server, again without success.

Any ideas as to how I can solve this problem would be gratefully received.

Could they be uploaded to imageshack perhaps as a test, see if they transfer there with no probs.

Has anyone else tried to view them on his site yet ? does the fault lie at his end when viewing?

is the URL to the uploaded pics correct, file names correct in relation to the missing ones ?

Numpty here can only suggest start with the basics and double check each step. :paperbag1:

You are correct scuzzman, but 99% of newish FTP clients auto detect what mode is needed.

I know for a fact the alternative one he used to test with (File Zilla) does, so i don't think that, is the problem.

Although what the problem is i don't know.

Does he have enough space left on the web server?

Tony

True, but a lot of them can be configured to always use one transfer type, and I believe FileZilla is one of these. Would be worth a shot if nothing else...

This might help too: Have your friend try the Windows/DOS FTP client.

Just in case (output is in italics, comments in bold, "%" denotes an input prompt):

Go to Start -> Run -> cmd

C:\> ftp server.com

Welcome message goes here....

Username: their_username

Password: their_password likely will not show up as asterisks or anything...

% asc Changes transfer mode to ASCII

Transfer mode changed to ASCII

% put test_picture1.jpg puts a test picture on the server using ASC transfer

% bin Changes the transfer mode to BINARY

Transfer mode changed to BINARY

% put test_picture2.jpg puts a test picture on the server using BIN transfer

% exit

Goodbye

Then, try viewing test_picture1.jpg and test_picture2.jpg in a browser and see if the images are messed up in a similar way. If so, that could be the problem. I can guarantee that test_picture1.jpg WILL be messed up, but test_picture2.jpg shouldn't be.

Hi

Nellie in your second post you wrote

<<I've viewed the pictures so it's not that

yes the urls are correct and the file names are correct as far as I know....I'll suggest the image shack idea!>>

It is not clear wether or not you could view the pictures ok or not. if you could not view them ok, then i don't think the problem was his browser (unless he was trying to use his browser to upload the pics). but he says he used software to upload them.

I am just pointing this out, as the problem could quite easy come back to haunt him. And i'm sure he would not want to do another reformat.

I am thinking that maybe it was just a coinsidence that it was working after the reformat.

If you could view the pics ok then all of my writing above is a load of rubbish, so just ignor it :)

Tony

Hi Tony

No I couldnt view them ok, I was seeing what he was seeing. He did try the image shack idea but his ie browser was borked and he just couldn't do it with opera.

I'm begining to think that perhaps his registry was totally messed up too..... I did try the usual repair options but they didn't work. He was having a lot of problems with his connection dropping out as well.