I spy

catgate

I have just seen an item on Ceefax wherein it is reported that the Centre for Policy Studies say that the government is diverting Lottery funds from the "good causes" to pay for things which should be funded through normal taxation. This claim is apparently supported by John Major in some book he has published. The "good causes" idea was the main vehicle for the introduction of the Lottery in the first place. That well know Culture Vulture, Tessa Jowell, has said it is good "because it gives a voice to the people". She sounds as though she has escaped from the Mad Hatter's tea party (no not Peter's), and the hand of Prudence seem to have found yet another crock of gold round the back entrance. There could, no doubt, be much debate as to whether or not a new set of curtains at Covent Garden and more big fat salery increases for the layabout organisers is of lesserer or morerer worthyness than a new scanner at Barts, but that is irrelevant to this discussion.

Why is it that this government, above all others that I can remember, seem totally unable to see a pile of money without feeling they have an unquestionable right to plunder it just as they wish?

I am reminded of an old farmer that I heard one day, maybe 10 years, ago in a sheep sale at Hawes auction mart. Management and I had gone on one of our motorcycle rides and had stopped in Hawes for a little something to eat. We wandered into the mart. just to see. As we were walking passed a group of tough wirey little hill farmers one was holding forth:-

" I mak nowt o' t' Labour lot. Yon silly buggers reckon we all shud a' nowt, and iverybody hes to share at it."

Labour rightly complained about sleaze when the Tories were last in power, but this lot have been the most corrupt bunch that I can ever remember. In addition to this it is amazing how many c**k ups they have made in legislation. They seem totally unable to draft a piece of good watertight legislation, everything just falls apart. No wonder there are so many rebels on their benches.

In addition to this it is amazing how many c**k ups they have made in legislation. They seem totally unable to draft a piece of good watertight legislation, everything just falls apart.

That's what comes with knee-jerk legislation thought up and controlled by ill-conceived campaigns by the gutter press.

I have just seen an item on Ceefax wherein it is reported that the Centre for Policy Studies say that the government is diverting Lottery funds from the "good causes" to pay for things which should be funded through normal taxation.

If this is true, then it is disgusting that Lottery money should be used to fill in the 'black hole' in Gordon Brown's budget :angry:

I know that some of the good causes have in the past being wasted IMHO but even so I think it's a disgrace as we pay enough tax as it is without them siphoning away some of the lottery money as well :(