Free Drive Image program

nellie2

DriveImage XML

Image and Backup logical Drives and Partitions

DriveImage XML is an easy to use and reliable program for imaging and backing up partitions and logical drives.

The program allows you to:

Backup logical drives and partitions to image files

Browse these images, view and extract files

Restore these images to the same or a different drive

Copy directly from drive to drive

Schedule automatic backups with your Task Scheduler

Image creation uses Microsoft's Volume Shadow Services (VSS), allowing you to create safe "hot images" even from drives currently in use.

Images are stored in XML files, allowing you to process them with 3rd party tools. Never again be stuck with a useless backup!

Restore images to drives without having to reboot.

DriveImage XML runs under Windows XP Home, XP Professional and Windows Server 2003 only.

The program will backup, image and restore drives formatted with FAT 12, 16, 32 and NTFS.

More and download

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Acronis TrueImage , either ver. 8 or 9, is vastly superior to DriveImageXMlL both in ease of use and and in available functions. However the main advantage of DriveImageXML is that it is free. I can create an Image of my C drive with Acronis ver. 8 in approx. 6 minutes. It takes me 35 minutes with DriveimageXML and the program itself is much less user friendly. Being a belt and braces type of person I always have a backup image made with each program, The biggest difference is that I can make a boot CD from within Acronis whilst to access DriveImageXML from a boot disk I have to download Bart PE and install the DriveImageXML plugin. If you feel you can afford to pay for Acronis TrueImage (and Ver. 8 is still available for about £16 from Amazon) then that's what I would go for. If you can't afford the dosh then DriveImageXML is a reasonable substitute but is neither as user friendly or reliable.