Are any of you folks on the other side of the pond......

deuces wild

.......following the debates going on in the States about the takeover of US port operations by Dubai

Ports World, a United Arab Emarites company? DP World is apparently purchasing P&O Steam Navigation (a UK company http://tinyurl.com/8bqms ) and will be taking over all port management operations P&O managed.

This has been a major story in the US as it has a direct impact on port operation management at 6 US coastal ports.

I believe that we need to take a closer look as all facts are not yet known. Our US Congress agrees. George Bush and former President Carter do not.

This is not a political or relationship (UAE and the US) issue but one of national security for the US. There have been good points made on either side of the issue. However, I believe we need to take some time to study this before rubber stamping it.

Here is a reasonable commentary on the subject:

====================================================

On Port Security: Slower, Please

Neither Rubber Stamps of Approval Nor Hyperventilating Objection Serve

Security

By Steve Schippert

After several days of battling both for and against the prospect of Dubai

Ports World acquiring P&O Steam Navigation and, thus, operation of several

of our largest maritime ports, I have consistently come to one daily

conclusion: Breathe.

That suggestion, by the way, is not directed solely at the many in such

spirited opposition to the deal, but also at the Bush Administration and the

Committee on Foreign Investments in the United States (CFIUS). There is

absolutely no need to rush this through, especially when there is quite

obviously a great deal of concern among the American public. Neither the

ports nor P&O Steam Navigation nor their buyers, Dubai Ports World, are

going to vaporize within a 30-day or 45-day window for review. Our nation's

security (and our public's peace of mind) deserve this consideration.

We, the people, need to review and work to understand the facts and

implications.

The items listed above are not offered as justification for waving the DP

World deal through. Not at all. Their purpose here is to simply serve as a

brown paper bag for the hyperventilating to breathe into. We need to make an

important security decision with long term implications. We cannot possibly

make a sound judgment with a rubber stamp in one hand while hyperventilating

into the other.

http://commentary.threatswatch.org/2006/02...-slower-please/

======================================

Any opinions?

I would not worry about the possible ownership - the Dubai people have unrivalled ability at managing large organisations and it will do nothing but good.

I am sure that in the future - if ownership of P&O or the ports became a real security issue - the government would soon step in and mount an enforced take-over.

I confess to a vested interest in this as I own a few shares in P&O, mainly for the perk of cheap ferry crossings. I would have liked P&O to have stayed in the UK but DPW is a reputable firm in a friendly, very friendly, State, and poses no threat to security. AlanHo put his finger on it, the US could, and would, soon step in if it were deemed necessary.

Thos.

Dubai is a very stable part of the UAE and has lots of ties with the UK and the west. They are expending their trading operations to ensure they continue to have a stable economy when their Oil runs out. Something that a lot of other economies should have done (IE: UK on N.Sea Oil/Gas ) or be doing to ensure world wide stability instead of taking the short term view /options.

UK on N.Sea Oil/Gas

squandered

tory tax cuts ...and bloody browns so called "magnificent handling "of the economy ..all the greasers in a decades time will be on golden index linked pensions in the Lords or the EU graveytrain , no doubt blaming the current government of the time for economic incompetence .... nothing will be in the bank ..and the rainy days will turn into decades

If its that such a biggie deal ..why doesn't the government buy it out and make it state owned .... or run a sweetener (bung) and get your airport authorities to take it over ....?

costa lot ...but what price homeland security ...eh ...?

The ports are not being sold, just the contract to operate them.

Security will still be handled by the Coast Guard and contract security. Manpower for the port operations is unionized through the longshoremen's union. Folks are just weary right now about an Arab company in charge of the port operations.

As others have said this is a well respected company, the 4th largest port operations company in the world.

I believe it will sort itself out and things will proceed as planned.