Microsoft to Unveil Secret Project Mar. 2

Scarecrow Man

With speculation flying about what "fun new products" Apple plans to announce next week, from video iPods to DVR-enabled Mac minis, Microsoft has its own surprise up its sleeve. The Web is abuzz with guesses as to what the Redmond company plans to unveil at origamiproject.com on March 2.

The site, registered by Microsoft and "discovered" early this week, provides few hints. A Flash animation pops up three questions: "Do you know what I can do? Or where I can go? Or how I can change your life?" It ends with the text, "Learn more on 3.2.06."

http://www.betanews.com/article/Microsoft_...ar_2/1140807979

----

http://www.origamiproject.com/

:huh:

More info - http://www.betanews.com/article/Microsoft_...s_XP/1141315703

The "week 2" update on origamiproject.com expands the questions offered last week, saying "wondering where to find me?," "i am everywhere you are, but never in the way" and "who am i?" The statements reinforce the idea of Origami as a small portable computer.

Viewing the HTML source code to the site additionally shows the following text: "Origami Project: the Mobile PC running Windows XP."

The final week of hints will be posted to the site on March 9. Microsoft has not said when it plans to fully detail the effort, but a number of analysts have already been briefed on Origami.

Some speculate Microsoft will simply offer a platform for hardware partners to build devices upon, providing the software and underlying technology design. Such a move would be similar to the approach the Redmond company has taken with Tablet PCs and Portable Media Centers.

Sean Maloney, Intel's mobility manager, today showed off a device he called the 'Ultra mobile PC', and said that the world "Won't have to wait very long at all" to see the official announcement.

Origami set to star at trade show

Intel revealed Tuesday it’s part of Microsoft’s much-hyped Origami project, with the semiconductor maker supplying low-power chips for “ultra mobile” PCs while the software maker is developing software to run the device.

Microsoft Chairman Bill Gates is expected to demonstrate an Origami device at the CeBIT information and telecommunications trade show in Germany on Thursday.

Intel said the mobile PCs, which are as small as portable DVD players, are a hybrid between laptops and smart phones.

Intel’s Inside Origami PCs

With Europe's biggest technology fair about to begin tomorrow, a tiny tablet-sized PC from Microsoft looks set to dominate the opening day.

The product code named Origami is due to be announced tomorrow, coinciding with the first day of CeBIT, and has been kept tightly under wraps by Microsoft until this week.

Despite attempts at secrecy, a few sneak previews have emerged throughout the week with CNBC airing an exclusive video preview of the device earlier this week, and Intel yesterday unveiling pictures and product specs of an 'Origami-like' device at its annual developer forum.

Intel pre-announces Microsoft's Origami