High Definition Services

I had an E-mail this morning giving the first indication that I have seen of the prices Sky will charge for their HD service:-

Thank you for registering for Sky HD. As one of our registrants we promised to give you the opportunity to be amongst the first to get Sky HD. Now the wait is almost over. Due to the unprecedented interest in Sky HD we are offering you the chance to pre-order Sky HD now.

You'll need to pay a £30 deposit either online or in your local Comet store. Then during early April, before we open the lines to the general public, we will call you to complete your Sky HD order and arrange your installation. Sky HD pre-order is being offered on a first come, first served basis. Installations are scheduled to start from May.

The table below explains how much you will pay for Sky HD provided you take a Sky digital and Sky HD subscription.

Sky HD Box £299

HD Subscription £10 per month.

Introductory offer- installation free until 31/05/06

*Sky One HD, Artsworld HD, National Geographic HD, Discovery HD and Sky Box Office HD will be available to all Sky HD subscribers. To get Sky Sports HD you will need Sky Sports 1 & 2 in your package. To get Sky Movies 9 HD you will also need Sky Movies 1 in your package and for Sky Movies 10 HD you'll need Sky Movies 2.

Of course an HD ready TV set will be needed also. It all seems a bit steep to me.

Thos.

Of course an HD ready TV set will be needed also. It all seems a bit steep to me.

I saw the Gadget show last week on Channel 5 and the 3 HD TV's were all very pricey and couldn't take full advantage of the HD TV signal as High Definition TV's are still new technology.

I will wait for both the price to come down and the technology to improve before commiting myself.

It'll only be a matter of time before HD broadcasts are the norm. Well several years of at least.

Having a HDTV set myself makes me think of getting sky...

Why not wait and see what the BBC are going to do about their HD service?

Thos.

I have a 32" LCD HD ready TV in the lounge and a 25" CRT in the dining room...there is no comparison...the CRT picture quality is very poor whilst the LCD is superb. You won't believe the difference until you actually own an LCD. The integrated Freeview picture quality is outstanding.

We bought the LCD mainly for it's looks and size to be honest...it's only a few inches deep and looks superb, we didn't expect the picture quality to be so good as it is. Watching DVD's on it is awesome. Until HD is broadcast nationally I see little point in paying extra to watch a few HD broadcasts though, and by then the prices of the sets will have dropped anyway.

I have a 32" LCD HD ready TV in the lounge and a 25" CRT in the dining room...there is no comparison...the CRT picture quality is very poor whilst the LCD is superb. You won't believe the difference until you actually own an LCD. The integrated Freeview picture quality is outstanding.

We bought the LCD mainly for it's looks and size to be honest...it's only a few inches deep and looks superb, we didn't expect the picture quality to be so good as it is. Watching DVD's on it is awesome. Until HD is broadcast nationally I see little point in paying extra to watch a few HD broadcasts though, and by then the prices of the sets will have dropped anyway.

That's interesting, to hear of direct comparison. My Panasonic CRT is about 2 years old and I could not justify dumping it but I would love to get a new, modern LCD.

Thos.

Went to John Lewis in Liverpool last week to look at HD ready Tv's also the DLP Tv's as seen on QVC

they were all connected to some sort of device with green LED's and tuned to National geographic HD

were they showing HD i don't no but i wasn't bowled over by any of them.