ZoneAlarm

• 9 months later...
  • Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

post-1524-1168846646_thumb.gif

ZoneAlarm 7.0.302.000 has been released.

Release History and download links

System Requirements:

http://www.zonelabs.com/store/content/cata..._za.jsp?frame=3

Personal experience:

I downloaded ZoneAlarm (free) 7.0, then took a full system backup with Acronis TI.

I shut down ZoneAlarm 6.5, then did an upgrade install of 7.0 (upgrade vs. clean install, in order not to lose any settings).

After the usual reboot a quick configuration, and all is running well.

Despite not having any problems myself, I still recommend to take a full system backup before attempting the upgrade!

• 1 month later...

OK worked this time and installed the full version. :yahoo:

OK it is trial for 15 days and then they hope you will buy full version. B)

Ran the Antispyware and updated it and was amazed to find that 1 had 4 lots on spyware - because I had run all just yesterday and supposedly clean. All being SuperAntiSpyware, Spybot, AD-Aware, and AVG free Antispyware.

It found :-

Game spy Arcade medium risk

Lycos Search High risk

Win.32 Trojan. Letflog30 Medium risk.

Plus one it deleted itself as low risk but not necessary.

I deleted the lot.

So are you running this on yours?

Also AVast said it was be better to deactivate its Web Shield when I turned back on after install, as it said it has problems it is currently sorting out with ZA so I did.

This ZA suite runs anti virus also but turned it off as have Avast.

Are you running or have you tried it, I think you have to turn off the current one to try it, but having just put Avast on and it found things that AVG Free Anti-Virus has missed, not sure if I should risk it. :uhm:

• 2 weeks later...
I've tried Zone Alarm and really like it. However I am going with Norton 360 right now... mainly because I got it for free 'cause I was a beta tester.

Who knows, I may go back to ZA.

You will in all probability need the assistance of this site when you come to remove it from your computer. It's a PIG. :D

I've tried Zone Alarm and really like it. However I am going with Norton 360 right now... mainly because I got it for free 'cause I was a beta tester.

Who knows, I may go back to ZA.

You will in all probability need the assistance of this site when you come to remove it from your computer. It's a PIG. :D

andsome,

I saw the light... no more Norton for me!

• 2 weeks later...

No Release Notes (or official download link) yet on the ZoneLabs site. Downloaded and installed it anyway (upgrade install) with no problems.

However!

(I start to like Andsome's way of communication) B)

When I opened Outlook later, something called "MailFrontier" started scanning my messages! After it was done doing that, it installed a new toolbar in Outlook. No permission asked!

Actually it did ask if it may scan my messages. I clicked [No], but it scanned anyway!

This time there is no uninstaller in Add/Remove Programs. However, I found how to uninstall it anyway:

• Close Outlook
  • Windows Explorer, open C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\MailFrontier
  • Double-click UNWISE.EXE
  • When prompted for the install.log file, use C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\MailFrontier\INSTMLF.LOG
  • on the MailFrontier uninstall panel, select Automatic [Next>], then [Finish]

This thing is getting more and more intrusive. If they continue to go in the same direction, I will have to get rid of it some day soon! :angry:

P.S. I have decided not to get rid of srescan.sys (see this topic) until I get another problem with srescan.

I had a few problems recently which I reported on here. It was not remembering my instructions to 'REMEMBER THIS ACTION', so I uninstalled it and am now trying the latest version of Comodo. So far so good, installed on 23rd Feb and still running fine. Well worth a try.

At the ZoneAlarm Forum there are dozens of ALL-CAPS warnings not to download this version, as it seems to contain several SEVERE bugs.

Frankly it is exactly the same thing like in January with 7.0.302, where they SHOUTED and SCREAMED in that forum, and eventually released exactly that version.

Anyway, I'd say to follow ZoneLabs' recommendation and wait until it's officially released. We will then also know the purpose of the release - it may be for Vista only...?

Anyway, I'd say to follow ZoneLabs' recommendation and wait until it's officially released. We will then also know the purpose of the release - it may be for Vista only...?

Makes sense to me. ;)

I had big problems with ZA and my cable net connection...As i understood he is functioning on next principle. Its calculating speed of incoming connection,and because its created for dial up connections it freezies everything...I dont have bandwith at all,after i shutdown ZA and unnistall from PC everything is working.Did someone had similar problems,and how did u solved it?

• 4 weeks later...

I did have a problem were ZA would sometimes take a while to bring up the first page I would go to. There were some other minor problems like a random start up delay. But so far with this new version I haven't seen the problems at all. Hopefully their gone. I also re-enabled Spyware Doctor to start up when my pc starts because now there compatible. At least the newest versions of each are. I really like the combination and almost never get any kind of malware even if I try to.

• 2 weeks later...
[*]Close Outlook

[*]Windows Explorer, open C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\MailFrontier

[*]Double-click UNWISE.EXE

[*]When prompted for the install.log file, use C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\MailFrontier\INSTMLF.LOG

[*]on the MailFrontier uninstall panel, select Automatic [Next>], then [Finish]

Thanks Pat, :flowers:

That dratted thing has been driving me nuts!!

• 2 months later...

You're welcome. Note that this is not a recommendation, but merely an announcement that the new releases are available.

I personally have stopped using ZoneAlarm, and the last few times I have upgraded I have always taken a full system backup before the upgrade. I recommend to do the same.

You're welcome. Note that this is not a recommendation, but merely an announcement that the new releases are available.

I personally have stopped using ZoneAlarm, and the last few times I have upgraded I have always taken a full system backup before the upgrade. I recommend to do the same.

May I enquire which one you are currently using then?

I havent yet installed new one just downloaded it.

Also have sitting there another firewall Comendo.

Debating whether going thru that 15 day trial again is worth it.

:rolleyes:

I am now using the free Comodo firewall, and I am very happy with it. It behaves similarly as the free ZoneAlarm did a long time ago - unintrusive, quietly doing its job, and not causing any troubles to the system.

Just in case; if you ever decide to uninstall ZA to try something else, make sure that you

I am now using the free Comodo firewall, and I am very happy with it. It behaves similarly as the free ZoneAlarm did a long time ago - unintrusive, quietly doing its job, and not causing any troubles to the system.

Just in case; if you ever decide to uninstall ZA to try something else, make sure that you

DITTO.

:rolleyes:

Seems like I will be following the leaders :lol:

Cant face going thru that 15 days trial again and since the size of the download indicates it is all there - well.

Alays liked ZA prior, but it as it is in life, new ppl, have to do it over again, and change things. :(

Have the same problem in the supermarket, basic items ppl have used and loved for years replaced by 'new' crappy ones. then the wait til not selling new the old come back on the shelf, well sometimes.