Sore Heels syndrome

:devil: Some greedy - ok most greedy shoe makers have resorted to putting hollow core heels inside our shoes and slippers and this is causing the slightly overweight like me, to have sore heels. Come back from shopping to sit down and take off those shoes. Saying, well the concrete floors in these malls are shocking on the feet, especially the heels.

Not so.

Look into most shoes, mine being Hush Puppies, nice comfy flat walking shoe new cost double last lot - HA - the heel if you look under the lining has this flat oval foam piece shaped like a rugby ball in centre of heel, under that is a split. Why - goodness knows but that is the cause of some pain in the heel.

Worse were slippers - inside of heel was like the roof girders of a factory unit to look down on. :scared:

My sister who lives down near by my atavar (and HM the Queen) these days tells me that sore heels are an epidemic in UK.

Likewise in Oz. Slippers, Crosby the best known make here sold in Kmart and all stores, are all hollow core heels, take up the thin lining and look like you are walking on top of a sieve.

So Why I ask is this happening - what economic value is there is torturing us for the sake of saving the cost of a few holes?? :vibrate::uhm:

Anyone have any further info. CAnt find a thing on the net.

All sites say caused by other things no mention of the hollow core heels yet local shoe store says they have been appearing for some 10 years now and many complain.

:rtfm:

I usually buy Clarke's shoes.

I used to do until I came across this problem with a few pairs of Clarke's. I'm firmly convinced of the soundness of the thesis put forward by pops. I have problem feet, due to circulatory problems, and so I have great trouble finding anything that is comfortable these days.

I have poor circluation of the legs and feet so I am very careful about my shoes. The ones I buy normally (and several pairs at a time) are called "Foot Gloves" from M&S. They come in black, brown or suede so you're not normally in a situation where your sartorial elegance is compromised.

in a situation where your sartorial elegance is compromised.

That is something from which I have never suffered. :) Basically I am a tidy scruff, black belt, third Dan, and quite happily wear brown shoes with a navy blue suit. (But I do like my handbag to match.)

However following your comment I shall go and have a poke around M&S. Thanks.

in a situation where your sartorial elegance is compromised.

That is something from which I have never suffered. :) Basically I am a tidy scruff, black belt, third Dan, and quite happily wear brown shoes with a navy blue suit. (But I do like my handbag to match.)

However following your comment I shall go and have a poke around M&S. Thanks.

Which part do you match the handbag to ?¿? :)

They are comfy.

I'm a bit worried now, though. It's three years since I bought my last lot (I said I bought several pairs at a time) and I'm suspicious that they (the shoes) may have gone down the cheapness path. Certainly the ones I have are not hollow heels.

They are comfy.

I'm a bit worried now, though. It's three years since I bought my last lot (I said I bought several pairs at a time) and I'm suspicious that they (the shoes) may have gone down the cheapness path. Certainly the ones I have are not hollow heels.

Ha but have you lifted the inside lining and had a look at the heel :unsure:

I was totally convinced my Hush Puppies were as good as always been and not convinced until I did the above.

Had bought them for last 25 years for comfort - usually several pairs at a time, but sadly all wear out evenutally and what do I do now - well go around the shops trying to feel the holes in the heel.

So far have found that HomyPed which is sold by chemists for those with foot problems - made in China naturally - have also got the blooming hollow core heels - so much for them being recommended by podiarty (?) professionals as good for problem feet.

I didnt used to have problem feet not until they stopped making half sizes also. Hard to get and Hush Puppies still do do a half size even if made in China. Forget slippers and I have surfed UK shoes on line and they have no half sizes in slippers either so you must have people with a problem.

So much for human rights guess feet dont count :angry:

One of my circulatory problems is ulcers on the inside of my ankles, leading to large tender, sensitive areas around them. This precludes my wearing of any of the modern shoes with"padding" around their tops, since this rubs and does exactly the opposite to 'what it says on the tin'. Finding shoes without this roll of padding is like looking for common sense in a politician. It seems as though this feature is mandatory, where ever the shoes are made, and seems to fly in the face of the "make it as cheap as possible" idea. However my interpretation of this is that what they lose on the padding they make up for by savings from the hollow heels...so that's alright then.

The one thing that stands out for me is how, over the last decade, the quality and design of footware has deteriorated, and how people's ability to walk properly, with a comfortable gait, has suffered as a result. It is staggering just how few people now seem to be able to walk "correctly".

. It is staggering just how few people now seem to be able to walk "correctly".

I usually find that putting one foot in front of the other, alternating between left and right usually gets me along quite nicely. :D

It is staggering just how few people now seem to be able to walk "correctly".

That's mainly because, for many people, walking is an anathema. The reliance on wheeled transport, mainly cars is causing people to lose the ability to walk. In some places, I understand, you can buy (so-called) food and go to the cinema and watch a film without ever stepping out of your car. Do these vehicles have built-in plumbing?

It is staggering just how few people now seem to be able to walk "correctly".

That's mainly because, for many people, walking is an anathema. The reliance on wheeled transport, mainly cars is causing people to lose the ability to walk. In some places, I understand, you can buy (so-called) food and go to the cinema and watch a film without ever stepping out of your car. Do these vehicles have built-in plumbing?

You pee out of the window. :D

I have recently developed a foot problem called Plantar Fasciitis - which is very painful heels and now stops me from walking very far without problems.

Members of my walking club who have been past sufferers either completely cured the problem - or obtained massive relief - by using specially moulded insoles. They are sold at some sports shops and are rather expensive - you basically pop them in an oven set at 90 centigrade, then place them in your shoes, put your feet in the shoes and stand in them for two minutes to mould them to the shape of your feet.

Further details here

I am about to break open the piggy bank and invest in some.

I personally find this quite offensive I would not consider myself an overweight individual and my school shoes have given up the ghost lol the heels have caved in at the back it aint to comfy walkin up the hill every day in them. They werent cheap either at about 30 quid but am not gonna get the same make again o well 2 more weeks nd i can burn em with my books hehe ;)

My sister was telling me that the Lord Mayor of London wanted to give all the pensioners free slippers but they refused them.

Maybe because they already knew the problem with cheap slippers :lol:

I am wearing out my welcome in shoe shops, they dont seem to appreciate me tearing out the inner linings to exam the heels for hollow cores. Interestingly some are square holes and some are round holes. :rtfm:

I have a cousin who is a technologist for a leading UK shoe maker. He claims that shoe designers are only reponding to the market requirements.

The average shoe buyer is looking for shoes that are :-

Stylish

Low cost

Light in weight (Hence hollow heels and thin materials)

Comfortable (hence hollow heels which provide some spring and shock absorption)

Durable

In roughly that order.