Western Digital Settles Capacity Dispute

Chris

Western Digital Corp. is offering free software to about 1 million consumers to resolve a class-action lawsuit alleging that its computer hard drives stored less material than promised _ a discrepancy stemming from high-tech's different standards for sizing up digital data.

Under the settlement announced Tuesday, Western Digital will give away software designed to back up and recover computer files to anyone who bought one of the company's disk drives from March 22, 2001, through Feb. 15 of this year.

To get the software, the 1 million eligible consumers must register their claims before July 16 at http://www.wdc.com/settlement.

The settlement, approved earlier this month by U.S. Magistrate Judge Bernard Zimmerman in San Francisco, pegs the software's retail value at $30 per copy. Consumers paid an average of $150 for the hard drives covered in the suit.

Besides buying the software for consumers, Western Digital has agreed to pay $500,000 in fees and expenses to San Francisco lawyers Adam Gutride and Seth Safier, who filed the suit last year. The proposed legal fees still require court approval.

More | Here

You don't need your receipt andsome. If you follow Chris' link and go to the claim form, it asks for the serial number of the drive. Once you've submitted that, you provide a name, address, email addy and they know when the drive was purchased from the serial number.

Filled in the form and submitted it, got the window back with the form showing, and a message that the form is not available at present due to system maintenance, and to try again later. BRILLIANT. :D :D :D

Like andsome, I've tried about 5 times now to register a claim for a 160 gig I bought 15 months ago - but every time I fill all the details in and submit I get the message "The claim form is unavailable at this time due to system maintenance. Please try again later. Thank you for your patience."

Anyone been successful in registering a claim yet ?

Anyone been successful in registering a claim yet ?

I have Boris, but I did it on Wednesday evening after Chris posted this item over on CT, so I must've beat the rush :) I haven't heard from them since though; probably not surprising as they're obviously being swamped with claims.

• 3 weeks later...