Strange addition to Taskbar

catgate

Right click the task bar, toolbars and untick address bar, I have XP but it's probably the same.

Thanks rong. Yes, I did that shortly after I posted the message, but what I am baffled about is how the damned thing got there in the first place. I have never seen it before, I would not really know how to get it there, and I have been messing with Windows since its inception.

There are some oddities about.

In view of our PM correspondence re Captain Crutch, it may be an idea for you to post a hijack this scan, catgate.

Did you get any feed back from scuzzman about Captain Crutch?

Yesterday I downloaded the latest CCleaner and ran it. I followed that by AVG (I do not really know why, just out of interest I suppose). Of course nothing showed on either. This morning AVG did its usual 11.00am run and found a virus (and swatted it).

I just wondered if it came in with the odd PM from the aforementioned oddfellow.

Sadly I know not what it was because management dealt with the close down of AVG and she did not remember if is said anything other than it had caught one.

Geoff

Hello Geoff.

I've not heard anything at all from C Crutch (or scuzzman) about this. There are a number of odd posts made to the forum disguised as genuine threads but, in reality, are nothing but advertising. We try and knock them out before many people see them (or worse, respond). I think this one may have been an example of that type. They don't normally carry an unwanted payload.

John

What surprised my, John, was the fact that I got a PM from the chap. Is it possible that some "baddie" can have been inserted in that? The other weird thing was why PM me, of all people?

Geoff

Above are the PMs referred to. I deleted the Captain Crutch thread as I thought it was spam. It may be, from what catgate is saying, that it could have had a payload.

I have had a similar thing this morning But instead of the Address Bar I got Control Panel. I got rid of it and shortly after my daily autorun of AVG threw up a virus called PSWBanker. All very odd.

Yes I got a lot of "squares" when I went looking.

Translation ? .......

Second, "Silver Network TV variant bm" (Troj.pswBanker.bm) threat level : unit trust

According to anti-virus engineers on Jinshan drug tyrants, this is a bank account number and passwords stolen the wooden horse virus. AIDS virus in the target system generated documentation %system%\redspider.dll, %system%\redspider.exe and added to the Register of specific Jianzhi. Once the virus outbreak, monitoring contain "bank" and "Silver Network" window title character string, keyboard records will be sent to the designated mailbox content of its records to the users tremendous economic and psychological damage.

Jinshan anti-virus engineers recommended :

1. When the manipulators control computer users, users can directly lead to the disclosure of information by, for the security of your system and personal information, the expert recommends users open a strange document, please use the latest virus software to scan for the killing.

2. Regular safety concerns website, to update the information system as soon as flawed system marked the latest patch to prevent the use of loopholes in the dissemination of the virus.

Jinshan drug Pa anti-virus engineers remind you : Please upgrade to the drug Pa February 17, 2006 the bank can fully address the AIDS virus. If no installation Jinshan drug tyrants can download to use Jinshan [=http://db.kingsoft.com/default.shtml]http://db.kingsoft.com/default.shtml drug Pa 2005 or online programs to prevent the virus.

Took url out of link cos I dont know where it goes. edit

I don't hold any truck with online automated hijackthis log readers.. they are dangerous and if you follow their recomendations then you could end up borking your system.. there is no replacement for the trained human eye as far as I'm concerned.

I don't hold any truck with online automated hijackthis log readers.. they are dangerous and if you follow their recomendations then you could end up borking your system.. there is no replacement for the trained human eye as far as I'm concerned.

Sorry, I would never think of using one either nel, I didn`t even realise the link was one.

I had just googled "SSVHelper" to see what it was. :flowers:

I'm getting lost here.

Its my fault, i was being nosey ;)

Gatgate posted a hijack in another thread regarding this and I wondered what one of the BHO`s was and googled it, unfortunately unbeknown to me the link that came up was a bit from an on line automated hijackthis log reader.

I was just appolgizing to nel for making a boo boo 3.gif