I need some Linux advice

cozofdeath

I'm getting that weird linux feeling back again and want to try another distro. I don't really care who makes it, or if its Unix, Linux, BSD, whatever. I've been out of it for a while. I just want it to be easy to use, similar to Windows in some way (shell commands, look, layout), good help (tutorials, man pages) bundled with it, and if possible, nice to look at and or security tools. I just want to learn more about linux or something similar and I think I would learn faster if the OS is easy to use and has a massive amount of help. Something else that would be nice is if it could be compatible with most other Linux and Windows systems. Like it would be good if I could download a Linux app and install it without having to worry about if it will work on this distro and I would like it to be able to talk to Windows via Netbios and my wireless NIC card/sata drive.

Thanks for all quick replies!

BTW, this is going to be installed on a virtual machine.

Have a look at Fedora Core 5. I have tried Ubuntu, Knoppix, SuSe etc, Mepis, Mandrake etc. and I have found FC5 better than all of them. There is also a site http://stanton-finley.net/fedora_core_5_in...tion_notes.html which you will find very helpful.

I looked at Ferora Core quite a long time ago (before it got numbers), and did not like it, but this latest thing is very good.

I couldn't hold back to wait for replies and I ended up downloading ubuntu and installing it before checking back on here. But you guys have made me rethink my installation. I just looked up screenshots and info on the distros you guys posted and all of them seem just as good if not better. I'm going to write them down and maybe install some of them beside this one. Thank you all very much I will definetly try them out.

I couldn't hold back to wait for replies and I ended up downloading ubuntu and installing it before checking back on here. But you guys have made me rethink my installation. I just looked up screenshots and info on the distros you guys posted and all of them seem just as good if not better. I'm going to write them down and maybe install some of them beside this one. Thank you all very much I will definetly try them out.

Honestly , I don't think the difference is that big. I find more difference between KDE and Gnome than Fedora and Ubuntu running with the same desktop manager. I do find Fedora more stable ,but Ubuntu is more cutting-edge , also apt-get is better than yum. Apart from that , they are not that different.

(I'm running FC4 and Dapper)

I agree. Somethings are different though, which is what I was looking for, unless others now provide it to. Like making things easy. When I used Redhat (before Fedora) I had trouble using the RPM to install/query/uninstall apps. Documentation for certain commands was lacking or I just didn't really understand it. Mounting hardware drove me nuts and I hated doing through lilo or grub to set up partitions. When I later tried SuSe it became easier to do things but I was to used to doing things in Windows. So far Ubuntu has been working out. I've never installed something so fast and with out partitioning anything. The uninstalling/installing is very EASY. Its all click and run like they say. All commands in the shell that I've tried come with good info and I haven't had a problem yet but I haven't ran it that long. I had everything setup quick without any reading on how to do it. That never happended to me before with Linux. I've been thinking about installing Samba to interface with Windows more threw this virtual machine but Samba seems complicated. Is it easy to setup and use? And any tips for a Ubuntu newbie?

I've been thinking about installing Samba to interface with Windows more threw this virtual machine but Samba seems complicated. Is it easy to setup and use? And any tips for a Ubuntu newbie?

I'm not sure what you mean by 'to interface with Windows more threw this virtual machine' . For virtual machine you need VMware. Ubuntu comes with a samba client installed by default. So if you are on the same network with a Windows machine you can connect to it instantly thru Places>network places (or something similar , I dont have Ubuntu here...).There's a GUI called Smb4K which makes things even simpler (I'm on Fedora now, but I'm almost sure Ubuntu can run it as well)

Ubuntu is cool , have you tried to run XGL on it?

I'm not sure what you mean by 'to interface with Windows more threw this virtual machine' .

Talk back and forth threw shares using netbios.

For virtual machine you need VMware.

I only have one machine. :( But yeah I'm using VMware.

Ubuntu comes with a samba client installed by default.

Are you sure. Yesterday when I was looking through the synapsis installer thing I thought it wasn't but I could be wrong or it could have been named something wierd. VMware can hookup a shared folder to talk to the main os but I just want to try samba because I might some day stick ubuntu on its own partition.

There's a GUI called Smb4K which makes things even simpler (I'm on Fedora now, but I'm almost sure Ubuntu can run it as well)

Awesome. I'm gonna see if I can find that also.

Ubuntu is cool , have you tried to run XGL on it?

No, I didn't see that but I will look for it. I tried a similar program called 3ddesktop and couldn't get it to work because I don't have hardware acceleration. Will XGL still work if I don't have it?

That is simply beautiful. How can I get everything to look transparent like that???

Try Here - - - Enlightenment....

oh and here - - Puppy WiKi

Oh , and then you'll need the Gentoo linux icons pack.... Here.. I just put these in my Ubuntu system just today....

Then get awesome wallpaper here... :D

Thanks a lot. I couldn't get the last link to open but hopefully I can get that installed today and post a pic or two on here. B)

You can all the stuff you need to decoarate your Linux, like icons, themes, sounds , splash screens etc at http://www.gnome-look.org/

That is if you use Gnome......If you use other desktop managers like KDE of XFCE you will find a link on the left hand side, don't know if these things work with Enlightenment though

jason b.c -thank you for the links ,always wanted those Gentoo icons!