Mandriva

casey

Installed Mandriva x64 linux & and works well except for the internet connection. I am using a netgear router on ethernet & somethings it will connect for but not others. It will download Mandriva updates & will work reasonably well in Konqueror but not at all in Firefox and Opera. Opera will receive E-mails but not send them. Any idea if this is a configuration or is it the router.

Casey.

Yes I did.

The strange thing is in the task bar I have the little plug & socket symbol which shows as connected & if I click on it it brings up the connection monitor which says 'connected' & from there I can disconnect & re-connect (or so it says).

If I go to cofiguration & select connection monitor from there It says 'Not connected'. If I click on 'connect' if flickers 'connected' then back to not connected. All the time the symbol shows connected.

Thanks

Casey.

Please keep in mind that this is not a bug, but more likely a case of you not knowing the proper procedures for diagnosing such a problem. I've seen hundreds of Windows/Mac boxes that have had the same problem, but because I knew how to fix it it didn't seem like a problem. Keep in mind, you're using an entirely different operating system, and it needs to be used like a Linux box, not like a Windows box.

With that in mind, should you decide to give it another go, we will be here to provide a helping hand with any problems you should have.

As a response to the original inquiry, if you should still happen to have Mandriva installed, could you please post the output of this command:

ifconfig -a

This will display the connection information of your interfaces, similar to the Windows command:

ipconfig /all

scuzzman. Took Mandrake off as it was not just the ethernet problem but trying to do something on it & it would say 'program closed improperly' or I would go to open, say Firefox, & would get the spinning symbol but nothing opened, just sat there. I would then have to log out & in again or restart completely. As for the ethernet I would go to the internet monitor and it would say 'not connected' while the graph was showing the amounts being sent and received. Also quoted the amount in figures & speed.

It was a total waste.

On my old computer I used to have 'Redhat', 'Suse', & 'Xandros' with no problems at all, but since I built this one I have had nothing but problems with Linux.

I tried Suse 10.1 x64 which istalled OK but just could not get the mouse cursor to show. I could see the buttons change when the mouse passed over them but no actual pointer. Trying to sort it out with only a keyboard was very frustrating. I asked for help on the Suse forum but the last reply I had was 'there might be a bug in that version' and would look into it. Heard nothing since. I wonder if is mostly down to using the Intel D dual core CPU.

Pity, Suse is what I really wanted.

Seshomarru Samma. Tried Ubuntu 6.0.6 which seemed to install OK, but when it went to reboot it would not boot. Just a load of rubbish on the sceen. Also I could find no where I could change where the bootloader was installed, I prefer it on the Linux partition.

Using Puppy Linux to add this reply which has no problems, ethernet found & working no trouble. Downside is it only being a live CD system.

Casey.

Thought I would have one more try so tried to install Fedora core 5. It got as far as probing for graphics cards and then it just freezes with coloured lines down the screen. Tried forcing it to use 1027x768 resolution, still the same. Then I tried installing in text mode. Everything then went OK until the first boot which started up in text mode, came up with Login: and all I could do was log in as root which the just brought up a command prompt. Can I do anything from here to finish installing?

Casey