A flaw in Image based backup applications?

Chris

With the recent talk of Acronis, DI7 and Ghost it got me thinking of an old question I had and answered myself when I came to use [and still use] Drive Image 7 [been using it for 3 years now]. I think there is a flaw if how Image applications are implemented.

Remember that imaging applications take an image, a snapshot of your HDD at a certain point in time. This image is only good for a certain amount of time In that it will eventually be old. That’s to say that the contents of your HDD will have changed [compared to the image], and it does not matter if this change is significant or not [well it will to some]. When there is a significant, non-significant change do most people decide to then create another image or leave it until their “backup day”. This new image will snapshot all the significant or non significant changes therefore giving you the user a good NEW backup to fall back on…

Still following me?

An example…

Image 1 – Created 01/01/2007 – Size 20GB

Within a few hours, days, there has been significant, non-significant changes to the contents of the HDD.

Do you, the user decide to take another image?

Image 2 – Created 03/01/2007 – Size 25GB

Now remember if something did go wrong, Windows wouldn’t boot; virus infestation etc. Would you have to fall back on a 3 day old image and any significant, no significant changes would be lost [you didn’t take another image remember?]. Or would you fall back on that 1 day old image [if you decided to take it]?

When I create an image I also copy, email, My Documents and a few other things to my external drive. So if I ran into a bit of bad luck, my image was somehow not restorable I would have at least my important stuff, email etc. Yes It would be time consuming to reinstall Windows etc….but at least I have a second copy of the important stuff [important to me at least]. Now admittedly I only create a new image once a week. Any new or vital data will be copied across as I see fit. But I have never created a new image because of this…

This also raises another question; do you also rely solely upon your image files? I don't that's why I create a copy of my docs etc as I said above.

:rolleyes::huh:

Generally I make an full image backup on a weekly basis. In addition, I make a copy of all changes to my work files on a daily basis or, if working very hard, more frequently than that. For instance, today I have made three My Documents backups because I am preparing important court evidence which would cause me many problems if lost. I will also back up again tonight.

Regarding full system backups, as above, I make them on a Friday afternoon. If I make any alterations to my machines such as installing ANY software (including Windows updates, but not A/V updates), I will make a full system backup.

Yes, backups will necessarily be out of date as soon as they have been made but that's just how it is.

Note: my My documents "backups" are copy and pastes as per Crowman. It isn't worth going through a backup procedure for small items like that.

Acronis = good

Windows backup = rubbish. (Unreliable, slow, difficult to use, restricted in what it will backup to).

Remember there is a special offer on Acronis for subscribers - see the blue tab at the top of the page.

• 2 weeks later...