New Build - Problem

I'm using a friend's PC/connection for this post so may not be around for reply.

The new PC should be finished, everything seems to be connected correctly and firmly ?

BUT when I power on at the mains - nothing ! :( :angry:

Its a switching PSU (feed for the monitor from the PSU as well) and the monitor LED powers up OK.

After initial stock availability problems for my first choice, in the end the CPU/board/fan combo I got was one of the Novatech pre-tested bundles. Athlon XP2000 + Novatech (ECS) L7VTA - so the actual board itself should be OK ?

The case - Tsunami Capricorn with a 350w PSU + extra connectors for P4.

Model Switching VG A350ATX

3.3v 14A Orange

5v 23A Red

12v 14A Yellow

Article on build using this case :- http://www.lmbatech.com/index.asp?article=hc1

The guy doing the build found the front USB connections hard, but I found this easy as very clear instructions in both manual and with case.

Connections

I've checked all the cables back to the front panel switches - all firmly attached.

Power and reset switches seem to click OK.

No info on which way round some of the front panel leads go :unsure: (either in the M/B manual or with the case), so I've connected 3 of the front panel 2 cable leads to PANEL1 as follows :-

H/D LED

Red Pin1 HD LED +

White Pin3 HD active LED -

RESET SWITCH

Blue Pin5 BUT which colour is 5VSB ?

White Pin7 AND which colour is GROUND ?

POWER SWITCH

Black Pin6 BUT which colour is 5VSB ?

White Pin8 AND which colour is GROUND ?

POWER LED

which has 2 leads but 3 connectors I've connected to SJ1 :-

White Pin1 ACPI LED

- Pin2 5VSB

Green Pin3 5VSB

Anyone got any bright ideas on my (stupid ?) connections ?

or is the PSU possibly faulty ? :o

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest ellas

boris instructions do not come with the case as every mobo is different,on the one I just built the cables had labels on and the mobo and manuel had the connection names on,I had a load of cables left as all are not needed,

Thanks Nel,

The manual that came with the mobo is version 1.0c - the one you can download is the previous one 1.0b.

I'm not even sure that it is the leads that are wrong, but I haven't got another comparable mobo/PSU/CPu to swap about to see what might be faulty !

My old PSU is only 200/230w - this board/cpu needs at least 300w.

I don't know how to shoehorn a Slot 1 CPU into a Socket 462 either :D

Guest Nellie2

Well this one does tell you about your LED connectors...... If you have your power on/off the wrong way then you won't have power. You do have your power supply actually plugged into the motherboard don't you??.......stupid question but guess who spent an hour trying to figure out why her new build wouldn't power up and didn't have the power supply in the mobo!! :rolleyes:

Another thing could be memory not seated right but you usually get a beep I think with that......... also........... the power supply switch at the back is turned to the on position??????

Well this one does tell you about your LED connectors...... If you have your power on/off the wrong way then you won't have power.  You do have your power supply actually plugged into the motherboard don't you??.......stupid question but guess who spent an hour trying to figure out why her new build wouldn't power up and didn't have the power supply in the mobo!! :rolleyes:

Another thing could be memory not seated right but you usually get a beep I think with that......... also........... the power supply switch at the back is turned to the on position??????

No switch at the back,

ATX1 is correct.

This board shows a red LED so you don't take out DIMMs when there's still power in it.