Microsoft Now Decides to Accept Outside Security for Vista

Chris

Microsoft Corp. did an about-face yesterday, agreeing to make it easier for customers of its forthcoming Vista operating system to use outside security vendors, such as those who make popular antivirus and anti-spyware programs.

Until now, Microsoft had planned to block those companies from installing their products in the deepest levels of the new operating system, which is scheduled for release early next year.

The company said it was doing so to address the concerns of security and performance in Windows XP and apply them to Windows Vista.

Microsoft's shift means that users would continue to have a choice in the programs they use to protect their computers and not be tied to something that Microsoft offers.

More | Here

Damned good thing as well. I would hate to have to rely on some half hearted attempt by MS in producing a good security package - like their firewall, disk burner and so much other stuff that they've "borrowed" from somewhere else, extracted about half of that required and shoved it into their operating system.

I have no objection to the operating system per se but many of the auxiliaries and add-ons leave a lot to be desired. A lot of other people are of the same view considering the vast number of independent software packages there are available.

Are they or are they just saying that?

Their current attempt at a firewall is very poor compared with some of the commercial (and often free) firewalls that are available. I can only think that their other security devices for Vista will be of the same order.

The true reasons behind this U-turn must be of that order otherwise they wouldn't be doing it.

They are doing it because the E.U. have threatened to ban Vista (or wreak massive fines on MS) if they do not allow third parties to access the Vista core.

Personally I think it is stupid to force MS to make this compromise - Windows is a very successful OS and it is probable that this new version will be as bullet proof as possible. If MS are forced to allow others into the core - then how can they be blamed for any future security issues.

I note that the Chairman of Norton has been very voluble on the subject and is insisting on the right to inject Norton into Vista. If the result is as problematic as I experienced with what Norton did to my XP - you can well sympathise with MS and understand the stance they wanted to take..

I believe the chairman of Norton wanted his product to be part of the new Vista rather than have the right to inject it into the O/S.

If that had happened, a lot of people would have been put off purchase.

The thing is, though, how long before Windows Ultimate is issued where it tries to be all things to all men (and women and children) and contains (or so Bill Gates thinks) everything that everyone could possibly want for their computer experience?

Gates has a very poor history at predicting developments in computers. It was he that said (in reference to memory) "64K should be enough for anyone."

I'm glad that Microsoft backed down as I wouldn't be happy if I had no option but to use their AV product over (say) NOD32 because it was excluded.

You do realise though that in doing this MS are lowering Vista's securtiy by allowing third party security products?

Possibly but I would expect hackers to find a way in eventually.

I use quite a few of Microsoft own applications including the firewall. It passes all test and as far as 'Shields up' is concerned I'm invisible on the net. This past 5 months or so I've been using a router since going on MAXDSL and this does help in having its own hard firewall. I often use XP's burner for files or photos if I'm doing a straightforward burn as its so easy and quick, Nero deals with the rest.

I also find XP's 'Picture & Fax viewer' excellent for uploading photos into a separate folder before I decide which I'm going to save, these then go into adobe elements. I have yet to find any image editor as fast as the basic XP one though at both uploading and viewing at any time. There is no lag whatsoever, it opens the instant I click on an image then runs through many 10's even 100's of images just as quick. No, they're not perfect by a long way but for many basic task they are very useful and very quick to use. :unsure: