Final Version of Mozilla Firefox 2 Will Be Released Oct. 24

Chris

Not to be outdone by Microsoft's recent release of Internet Explorer 7, Mozilla will release the second major version of its rival Firefox browser on Tuesday, October 24.

According to Mozilla Vice President of Products Christopher Beard, Firefox 2.0, which should be available on Tuesday if all goes according to schedule, includes key new usability features missing in the new IE 7.

Updated Mozilla Features

Mozilla has also enhanced the popular tabbed browsing feature in 2.0 that Firefox introduced when it emerged two years ago as the first significant rival to IE in years, Beard adds. Tabs allow users to navigate more easily between multiple Web pages when browsing the Internet, and Microsoft added tabs to IE 7 after Firefox's success with the feature.

In Firefox 2.0, Mozilla has added a "close" button on its tabs, as well as new visual features to make the tabs appear more obvious to the user, Beard says.

New usability features in Firefox 2.0 that differentiate it from IE 7 include one that will restore the browser to pages where the user was working if a sudden OS restart is required. "If your browser needs a restart or the OS asks you to reboot, losing all of those Web pages and content is pretty disruptive," Beard notes.

More | Here

As always with major version updates of Firefox, it detected a number of add-ons that are no longer compatible with the new version. I really don't understand why the developers of these add-ons don't use the rather long beta period to update their products.

These add-ons were disabled for me after installing FF 2.0:

- Java Console 6.0

- Shazou 1.0

- SpellBound Development 0.9.8.20060108

- Copy Plain Text 0.3.2

These add-ons were disabled for me after installing FF 2.0:

- Java Console 6.0

- Shazou 1.0

- SpellBound Development 0.9.8.20060108

- Copy Plain Text 0.3.2

I read somewhere that the v2.00 release has a built in spell as you go type spell checker Pat, that could be one reason why Spellbound is disabled. I haven't upgraded yet so this is just a guess.

I read somewhere that the v2.00 release has a built in spell as you go type spell checker Pat, that could be one reason why Spellbound is disabled. I haven't upgraded yet so this is just a guess.

v2 does come out of the box with a built-in spull chucker; you even have the option to download the appropriate language dictionary. So you can spell check using "proper" English and not Americanised English :P

v2 does come out of the box with a built-in spull chucker; you even have the option to download the appropriate language dictionary. So you can spell check using "proper" English and not Americanised English :P

I thought I had read about the Spell Checker somewhere. Thing is dagwood, does it have the option of a Goerdie spell checker download. :lol:

Thanks Pat, it talks about making a backup of yer profile configuration - which I do do.

Where is the backup file stored - do you know? Coz I'd like to backup the backup when I do my backups LOL :P

Also I wish it gave you a report of what it's done, coz I have made some tweaks to about:config already and I'd rather *my* choices weren't touched :rolleyes:

Thanks Pat, it talks about making a backup of yer profile configuration - which I do do.

Where is the backup file stored - do you know? Coz I'd like to backup the backup when I do my backups LOL :P

Also I wish it gave you a report of what it's done, coz I have made some tweaks to about:config already and I'd rather *my* choices weren't touched :rolleyes:

Sorry, I don't know where the backup is stored. I tried to find it, but didn't...

I agree; I'd also like to know what options were changed. If we had the backup, we could do a windiff...

Guys, it's stored in you FF configuration folder which is here(you need to make sure that your folder view options are set to "Show hidden files and folders"):

C:\Documents and Settings\"logon name"\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\"random numbers and letters".default

The file you're looking for is called prefs.bkp and you can open it with notepad.

Edit: I meant to add that all Firetune does is change the way/speed that FF renders web pages and increases the number of connections/persistent connections/connections to a server.