Microsoft Announces Extended Support for XP Home and MCE

Chris

Today, Microsoft is announcing the addition of an Extended Support phase for the Windows® XP Home Edition and Windows XP Media Center Edition operating systems, providing consumers with an additional phase of support.

With the addition of Extended Support, the support life cycle for Windows XP Home Edition and Windows XP Media Center Edition will include a total of five years of Mainstream Support (until April 2009) and five years of Extended Support, matching the support policy provided for Windows XP Professional.

The Microsoft Support Lifecycle policy standardizes Microsoft® product support policies for business and developer products as well as for consumer, hardware, multimedia and Microsoft Dynamics™ products.

More | Here

Forgive me for being naiive Craig, but I assume that there will then no longer be automatic updates etc., security or otherwise?

What are we punters expected to do? Migrate to Windows Vista or some alternative?

No wonder Bill Gates became a billionaire!!

I'm thinking that MS are now expecting Vista to be less popular than they hoped so they will have to continue XP support.

There's already a Service Pack in the pipeline for Vista - and it isn't even on general release yet.

Are they reaching the limit of Windows capabilities?

Forgive me for being naiive Craig, but I assume that there will then no longer be automatic updates etc., security or otherwise?

What are we punters expected to do? Migrate to Windows Vista or some alternative?

Yes that is what you're expected to do...!! , You are expected to work yourself half to death to line billy boy's pockets... Just to have to buy more software ( something in wich microsoft had a part in creating ) just to keep your computer free from viruses...

That is why i choose not to use that proprietary crap anymore than i have to , And why i refuse to buy a new computer with a pre-installed system and actually keep the system... If i want windows i'll buy the disk...

Ummmm Craig? :(

You're not expected to do anything.

SP3 will be coming; sooon ish...