Nothing on PC

artist

Suddenly two days ago the OE stopped working and no pages will load on IE.

Everything seems ok with the ISP including the modem. The laptop worls fine.

I thought it was a corrupt account - so tried to create a new one. It worked before. Not this time.

I tried copying the settings from the laptop - it made no difference to the pc.

Could the problem be with IE7 itself? I'm worried about uninstalling it as I may lose both computers, so to speak.

I have had error codes

0x800CCC90,OD,OF,OE so far

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The first thought was to look up the numbers - I have tried all the suggestion from the 'solutions' for all the numbers.

I have also checked and rechecked all the settings........No joy at all.

Any other thoughts.

I use the same connection for the laptop - no network - as it is generally used for other than the internet. I only connect for updates........

So - I went to run - put in : command netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt and it came up with 'too many perameters'

What does that mean?

Did you type Command, press ok, then type in the rest of the instruction in the next screen?

Command takes you to the DOS black background screen. After you have reset the Internet Protocol by typing the rest of the instruction, type exit to leave the back screen and return to Windows.

I don't know if you did but don't include the word "command" just "netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt" without the quotes. You can actually go though entering each word/command by itself, like when the command prompt opens you could type netsh, hit enter, then type int and hit enter, etc. Or you could just copy and paste the "netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt" command right into the command prompt with your mouse.

If reseting you tcp/ip stack does not work, internet explorer or malware is most likely the problem.

So - I went to run - put in : command netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt and it came up with 'too many perameters'

What does that mean?

Did you type Command, press ok, then type in the rest of the instruction in the next screen?

Command takes you to the DOS black background screen. After you have reset the Internet Protocol by typing the rest of the instruction, type exit to leave the back screen and return to Windows.

I did that

it said the media is disconnected???

I am sure this is probably a stupid suggestion - but it just might spark a line of thought.

I get the impression that you unplug the broadband cable from your computer and plug it into the laptop - use the laptop on the internet - then plug the cable back into the computer.

Is there a possibility that with this regular plugging and unplugging you might have damaged the computer socket or disturbed the network card and thus cannot connect to the internet... :unknw:

(Puts on dunces cap and stands in corner awaiting patronising responses from real experts).

Sorry to hear that you are still having problems, artist. :(

In the Google search, there was also this link to Microsoft.

You have probably been here, but I thought it worth a mention...

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/198704

Yes, I tried that,Irene.

Alan The modem cable is permanently in the computer - it's just the usb on the end where I disconnect and connect. It was a bit loose so bought a new one the other day.

I've been on the tiscali forum too - they've had me doing some 'pings' and uninstalling the modem so far. A minute ago, I had the same error message on this laptop and the page wouldn't load - I'm starting to wonder if it could be the modem - it was a freebie about 4 years ago.

Do they go wrong?

Artist

Can I review your set up. Sorry to be pedantic but I am not sure what you have.

I assume you are connected via a BT line. If so you will have a filter plugged into the BT socket and your modem plugged into that. Your modem is then plugged into your computer using the appropriate socket. It is essential that you do not have any phones, fax or a Sky box plugged into any extension sockets unless it is via a filter.

I don't understand your statement that the modem is permanently plugged into the computer and you just disconnect a USB plug. I rather thought that you would use the same modem for the laptop - in which case you would neeed to disconnect the modem from the computer to plug it into the laptop.

Or have I got it all completely wrong. Sorry about the questioning.

I am reminded of an old friend who lost his internet connection suddenly and played merry hell with BT for several weeks. They had him jumping through hoops checking, reinstalling the modem and all sorts before it was discovered that he was slightly deaf, he had bought a ringer and had plugged it directly into an extension socket so he could hear when the phone rang. He fitted a filter to the ringer and it cured the problem.

Wouldn't it be lovely if your problem was something so simple.

There is a lead from the computer - which is awkward to get at under the desk - one end, with the usb conection comes out of a hole above it. The modem is attached to that. That is the connection I use for updating the laptop. So the actual connection into the computer doeasn't get removed at all.

Oh. life is difficult........

:D

Sorry to see you're still having problems.

I just came across this thread on another forum, from someone having exactly the same error messages which you have been having.

Not sure if there is anything new contained in it that you haven't already tried, but hey, who knows. :)

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/25/5518-...ok-express.html