Can't use msconfig

Download and run Startup Inspector. It's much safer and surer than using msconfig.

Startup Inspector

SNAP!!!!! :D

Remind me again how to do those neat links. pops has told me before, but my senior-moment has become extended!

Look along the little buttons to the right of the smiling face above the reply window. If you hover over the one immediately to the right of the smilie you will see that you can insert a link. Click on it, and you will see a small long narrow window open up higher up the page. It says click here to allow scripts. Click on this then click the link button again. Paste the URL to your link in the new window top left, then click OK. You then get the option to enter a title yourself. A similar open is available for posting third party smilies by using the next button along. Hope this is clear.

I noticed you have HP software on your computer from the screenshot and thought maybe this link might apply to your problem.

'An access denied error was returned while attempting to change a service. You may need to log on using an Administrator account to make the specified changes'. while trying to use MSCONFIG

The culprit is a security update for the HP PSC 1410 printer software.

PML Security Update pmsvptch.exe v1.0 released on 2006-11-07 for the software from HP's website.

It causes a service "PML Driver HPZ12" to start in services.msc which would interfere with the rights/privileges.

we need to uninstall the software. But if still the service doesn't go.

Then we need to manually delete the leftover files of HP software from program files & windows folders & their sub-folders carefully.

If Still no respite.

Then, finally go to Registry Editor & search for keywords "pml" & "hpz12" & deleted all entries that showed that they were of HP.

A restart & the problem will be gone.

If the problem still persists, we need to turn off the "OS Firewall" in Zone Alarm: Go to Program Control > Main and press the first "Custom" button from the top. Uncheck "Enable OS Firewall".

Trust me....your problem will be gone with the wind.

Take care

Regards

WHD

http://www.techspot.com/vb/all/windows/t-4...nied-error.html

I actually just seen this on a computer. I didn't try to fix it because it seemed to apply some of the changes anyway. I was also the built-in admin when I was using it just like you. Do a file search for msconfig.exe, once you find it open a command prompt. Then type "cacls fullfilename.exe" and hit enter. What you will see in the output are the permissions for that executable. Make sure the Administrators group has full (F) permission.

I'm not sure if taking ownership of all the files would be the best option. Just because I don't know for sure what it would do. I would guess nothing but I don't know for sure. Maybe someone else has tried it? The cacls command will give you permissions on whatever file or folder you want.

cacls C:\WINDOWS\pchealth\helpctr\binaries\msconfig.exe /E /G %username%:F

That command should give you Full permission on the msconfig.exe file.

cacls C:\Windows\System32 /E /T /G %username%:F

This command should change your user permission to the system32 folder and everything inside. But the msconfig.exe file is not inside the system32 folder. If you leave %username% in the command it will replace it with the username you are currently in.