AOL hitch?

catgate

A relation of management's is on AOL (not sure what she did to deserve such a fate). For about two weeks now she has been able to send us mail but any emails that have been sent from here to her do not get there, but are not returned. So one would expect they had the right email address ( it is usual to click return, but both ways have been tried without success.)

She has been able to communicate, through work, and tells us that it seems to be only our emails that are not getting through, though this may only be because she knows we have sent them. She has sent herself test mails from work and these are getting through. As far as we know all the mail we have sent out to other addresses has got through with no problem.

Does anyone have any experience of this sort of thing? She has been in touch with the ubiquitous and omnipresent Sanjeev (and his sister) and they are as much use as a chocolate teapot, because this phenemenoononen does not appear on their list of runners and riders.

Thanks for that, rong.

have you tried sending her an Email from a hotmail or similar address

No. Good idea though. I shall do that. I have an old Yahoo address.

has she looked in the spam to see if it has been stopped

I think so.

A relation of management's is on AOL (not sure what she did to deserve such a fate). For about two weeks now she has been able to send us mail but any emails that have been sent from here to her do not get there, but are not returned. So one would expect they had the right email address ( it is usual to click return, but both ways have been tried without success.)

She has been able to communicate, through work, and tells us that it seems to be only our emails that are not getting through, though this may only be because she knows we have sent them. She has sent herself test mails from work and these are getting through. As far as we know all the mail we have sent out to other addresses has got through with no problem.

Does anyone have any experience of this sort of thing? She has been in touch with the ubiquitous and omnipresent Sanjeev (and his sister) and they are as much use as a chocolate teapot, because this phenemenoononen does not appear on their list of runners and riders.

SHE WHO..?

It would be nice if you could specify.... :0

AOL were notorious at one time for censoring emails from certain sources which they didn't approve of. Censored ISPs included quite well known ones and I think BT got on the list for a period.

There were protests from users (naturally) but AOL carried on the practice after some pruning of the censored providers.

This was some time ago but, it could be still going on.

When I attended a series of Internet classes at night school a few years ago, the first thing handed to us was a leaflet called, 'AOL, THE UPGRADE OF DEATH'. A few years ago there was a phone in programme on Radio 4 about AOL, the switchboard was jammed with callers with complaints. My son tried a free month with them, and trying to fully uninstall their software and rid the computer completely of their rubbish fouled things up, and he needed to reinstall Windows.

AOL were notorious at one time for censoring emails from certain sources which they didn't approve of. Censored ISPs included quite well known ones and I think BT got on the list for a period.

There were protests from users (naturally) but AOL carried on the practice after some pruning of the censored providers.

The whole thing is crazy. Yesterday evening I reactivated an old Yahoo account and managed to get through to HER on that, with no trouble. After sending a couple of further test messages on the Yahoo account, and SHE replying to the Onetel account, I once again tried sending on the Onetel account. SHE replied instantly "It got through".

Neither of us had changed anything.

Now as far as I am aware Onetel and AOL are still part of Carphone Whorehouse. Is AOL going to be censoring Onetel? Who knows what happens.

However, just to round off the merry tale, here's this morning's quirk.

Yesterday, before SHE left her place of employment she sent management an email, followed directly by another, containing a bit SHE forgot, and they were sent from her works BT.com account. This was just before 5.00pm. They did not arrive into my Onetel mailbox until 4.20 am (according to the header info) and I know there was nothing in my Onetel Mailzone mailbox during the evenings farting about, because I looked to see on a couple of occasions.

Do I have to shake a six before I get another go???

When I attended a series of Internet classes at night school a few years ago, the first thing handed to us was a leaflet called, 'AOL, THE UPGRADE OF DEATH'. A few years ago there was a phone in programme on Radio 4 about AOL, the switchboard was jammed with callers with complaints. My son tried a free month with them, and trying to fully uninstall their software and rid the computer completely of their rubbish fouled things up, and he needed to reinstall Windows.

I was with AOL for over 5 years and when I left them back in May last year, I agree that the AOL software didn't uninstall properly and I had to go into the registry and delete AOL 'leftovers' but I didn't have to reinstall Windows thank goodness :0

I had this problem a few times when I was with them as they were deciding what e-mails I could and couldn't receive :angry:

I left them last year because they wouldn't put me on to Max as they said my line was too long, clearly it isn't as I am on 4 Mb now with Zen :rolleyes:

That would be the Lord Levington of Compost no doubt.

Strangely enough it was his head gardener who was the originator of that type of compost and his Lordship was so pleased with it that he helped the head gardener to start up a small business for himself, and use the name Levington on the bag. Of course in those days they were hessian bags.

That would be the Lord Levington of Compost no doubt.

Strangely enough it was his head gardener who was the originator of that type of compost and his Lordship was so pleased with it that he helped the head gardener to start up a small business for himself, and use the name Levington on the bag. Of course in those days they were hessian bags.

I thought they were old bags. :D

p.s. I'm glad I left them as the Carphone Warehouse have recently taken over with unfair throttling practices where you are throttled whether you are a heavy user or not :blink:

So where can I find out more about this throttling business, CurlyW? It may answer some of this problem, although I must admit I have been unaware of it up until now.

So where can I find out more about this throttling business? It may answer some of this problem, although I must admit I have been unaware of it up until now.

When Carphone Warehouse took over, they altered the terms and conditions from what people had originally signed up for.

As a result, people were allowed to leave for a 30 day period with no penalties even if they were in contract.

To see what I mean about the throttling, check out thinkbroadband and if you read a few threads you will see what I mean as loads of people have left AOL because of it.

As you will only be a guest when viewing, it is worthwhile changing the thread view option from the default threaded view to flat view as otherwise it can get a litte confusing when attempting to read the posts :blink:

p.s. I don't think the throttling will affect being able to send e-mails to AOL members though as, when I was with them, a similar thing happened to me when I couldn't send e-mails to certain domains like the a-squared forum.

What happened was that I had forgotten my a-squared forum password and AOL wouldn't allow me to request a new one so that I could use my account but this restriction only lasted for a few days so it wasn't too bad.

I never had any trouble with people being able to send me an e-mail whilst I was with them or with me being able to send a person an e-mail though.

AOL only seemed to block domains like with the a-squared domain that I did have trouble with.