Another Case For A Referendum ?

Guest moon

Guest Shirley_Crabtree

I see no scientific reason to suspect GM foodcrops of being anything but healthy,never-fail alternatives that could help MILLIONS of people in deprived countries sustain LIFE!!

AND provide us lucky people with cheap commodoties!!

I refuse to sign such a petition......where's the dreadful comebacks that were promised....the 3 eyed fishes.....or the chickens with 4 breasts...nowhere!!!!!!

A grain crop that can be cultivated 4 times faster than usual,and provide double the yeild,in a place where people are starving TO DEATH is good!!

No?

We are SOOOO lucky in Britain...we don't die of hunger....even if we are Iraqi refugees...we don't die of hunger....In Africa people die.....of hunger....every day....babies die...adults die....they all die....If GM foods can help stop this s*** then I say GOOD LUCK.

Cheers

Shirl.

Shirl, one of the reasons for starvation in Africa is that most of the effin farmers have been killed, in wars and massacres , by weapons provided by the 'civilised' world. Take a look at the newsreels of emaciated Africans. Either the cameramen have deliberately chosen women and children for emotive response or most of the geezers have long since snuffed it. It is absolute hypocrisy for agribusiness to claim their primary aim is to assist Africa when their real aim is to destroy thousands of years of European agricultural heritage in order to replace it with chemicals and 'seed' obtainable only from them I'm not saying that companies like Monsanto are populated by the spawn of beelzebub, I'm saying that they are populated by blind breadheads. These breadheads do the bidding of their shareholders who are so far removed from the front line of local European economics as to know eff all about anything but dividends. Europe alone already produces enough surplus to feed Africa.

The downside of GM use has been seriously suppressed by many governments with a vested interest......(worringly ours included ) The only minister with half a brain on this (Meacher) has been given the boot......The commercial case for GM production seems also somewhat shaky.

In accepting large scale GM production here in this country , were are also accepting that all our population and descendants are to become part of a long term study in what is going to happen .Whether all of us have agreed or not.....With no real clue as to what the outcome will be , only that once the genie is out of the bottle , it cannot be put back in .

Recent research in the US has shown that GM modified proteins have crossed over into human bacteria in the gut after ingestion...Long term effects unknown....

SARS virus species jumped from pigs into us

Ebola crossed over from monkeys

Hong Kong flu from chickens

GM manipulation is thought to lower the natural barriers between different species making this a greater possibility . Plant diseases crossing over into animals ?(Fungal ?) is a concern.

Cross fertilisation with weeds has been proved in Canada over distances of several Km , certainly over the 200m farcical buffer zone that we have in this country...... It is causing the Canadians considerable disquiet in how much more and varied chemicals that they are going to need to treat them , with a growing realisation that they have now committed themselves to an uphill costly chemical path ....both in terms of financial and enviroment......

The way to stop hunger in Africa is purely political.....GM is not the answer ,

Here is a good example......Monsanto sells GM sterilised maize (a main staple food) in Africa. It prevents the farmer keeping the best seeds from his crop back , in order to grow further crops in successive years from the original purchase of seed.

But in the mean time the local seed sellers are under cut forcing them out of buisness. So there only becomes one source of the seed , Which the local farmers have to buy every year in full .!

It is a very wise nation that disallows any form of genetically engineered crops to enter its borders.For it will profit greatly when the world must purchase

organic foods from them. It is an extremely good reason why developing nations should never give in to the demands, bribery, bullying, name-calling, and political pay-offs of the biotech industry.

The Third world might be better off staying GM free and then able to charge a greater premium for their produce .

• 3 weeks later...

I remember a case a few months back in America. A farmer always saved some seed for next years crop. After a couple of years of GM crops being grown on the farm next door, Monsanto spies came along and took samples of his crop. Due to cross pollination some GM genes had got into the farmers crop, so Monsanto asked him, to pay up for his own seed or be sued. What a nice bunch of philanthropists these people are.

I'm sorry but I kinda agree with Shirl, I would however like to read some indepth literature for both sides of the arguement before making a decision! I think it's a pretty damn interesting subject, and one can only decide whether to be 'for' or 'against' GM foodcrops with the FULL facts in hand.

Anyone know where I can get some?

Cheers

Damo

edit: I can't only find arguements 'against' GM, if anyone knows any reputable sites for both, I would be happy!

GM foodcrops with the FULL facts in hand.

Anyone know where I can get some?

Cheers

There are no full facts as yet, damo. The petition is for a moratorium until there are.

Andsome....knock yourself out

Thanks for the link. There's far too much there to take in all at once, but from a quick look at one or two of the articles, it justifies the arguments against GM. I can see nothing wrong at all in selective breeding and cross pollination of plants, to improve and give different varieties. This is exactly what happens in nature. With GM research however they have gone OTT, introducing mouse genes into plant life, and introducing chemical resistance etc. It all rather smacks of Frankenstein. You would all do well to have a look at the link given by Tankus.

• 2 weeks later...

The US is forcing the issue over Europe's reluctance to embrace GM . Because they are worried that if we go down the "non" route , US agriculture would be severely restricted, as the genie is out of the bottle and the bulk of US grain cannot be guaranteed GM free.(Including organically grown cereals ) The whole food processing system has been contaminated ...

They have no choice but to force us ....They cannot go back........

They should have waited....

This is just typical of the worship of the almighty dollar. It appears to me that they are not worried about any possible health implications, they just want more and more dollars in the coffers. The same is happening with their continued gross over use of fossil fuels, with all the global warming consequences. San fairy anne to the lot of you, appears to be the attitude.

The same is happening with their continued gross over use of fossil fuels, with all the global warming consequences. San fairy anne to the lot of you, appears to be the attitude.

Just imagine the trouble there would be if they realized that their fossilised fuels were exhaustive. They might decide to invade other, weaker countries that are rich in such commodities. Under alternative and false pretences, naturally. :P ;)

Just imagine the trouble there would be if they realized that their fossilised fuels were exhaustive. They might decide to invade other, weaker countries that are rich in such commodities.  Under alternative and false pretences, naturally.  :P  ;)

i'm sure that there is some sarcasm there

The light dawns in number 10...............

The Independent

Tony Blair is drastically scaling down his plans to introduce GM farming in Britain in the wake of the Hutton inquiry, the Independent on Sunday can reveal.

Senior officials at the centre of the issue concede that the Prime Minister has accepted that it would be politically "too risky" to force through widespread commercial planting of GM crops in the teeth of public opposition, following the catastrophic collapse in public trust following the Iraq War and Dr David Kelly's apparent suicide

Its noticeable that the decision made to scale back on GM introduction was not based primarily on scientific evidence....But mainly on public perception of cheesy's untrustworthiness .......