Acronis recovery operation failed

D4\/!d

Hello folks,

The pc took a little longer to start this morning. And there were other things that were not feeling the same. I rebooted as recommended by all helpdesk folk. But the pc was still sluggish and not responding well. It was fine yesterday..!! :rolleyes:

I know what. I'll restore last week's Acronis backup.

Trouble is the recovery operation is failing. When the recovery reboots the pc and runs its loading... screen. I get an error message about usb takeover failed.

I have a wireless keyboard and mouse. I hunted around and found an old green plug in mouse. But then could not find a mouse socket in the back of the pc. That's right no green mouse hole on this (newish) pc.

Oh dear. What now? How do I restore a backup. (In the meantime I have run yesterday's System Restore).

Does this mean I cannot use Acronis with my usb/wireless Logitech keyboard and mouse.

(PC is dell dimension C521 with xp pro sp2 fully updated)

Thanks Boris, good thinking :)

I looked at that option myself, but my adaptors are female usb with din pins into the pc.

Your example, I see, is a male usb taking the green end of the mouse.

But at the end of the day. It is still usb. And I am getting a usb failed error message :(

What I've done in the past is to do the recovery in a different machine.

From what you're saying, it appears that the drive is failing and it will be something of a waste of time re-installing on to it.

It is odd, though, that the Acronis boot disk is not loading USB drivers.

Hello pops, I know drives do fail (I've been through that with my other pc), but this is a new one. And thankfully the System Restore has worked well this morning.

Following Boris' advice I googled the error message and have now found other users with the same/similar problem with Acronis.

For example: TI 10 - does not work properly with USB

It seems that the Acronis product is lacking and as far as I can see Acronis have yet to address the fault adequately.

In the meantime I cannot rely on Acronis to restore my backups. (Is there a ghost in the house...LOL)

:angry:

I can't try this out, but if you want to do it ?

Find that file.

Make a copy of it.

Rename the copy as F11.cfg.old and save it in the same folder (for insurance :))

Right click on the original F11.cfg file and then "Open With" Notepad

It'll show as a text file (hopefully just as the support guy said).

Type in the change so it shows as his example and then Save it.

It seems as if you need to re-activate your TI afterwards ????

If it doesn't work you can always delete the amended F11.cfg and replace it with your back-up copy renamed as F11.cfg

Thanks Boris, I wondered about using notepad but wasn't sure. Well I copied and changed the file ok.

It did nothing for me though. Acronis still don't work.

Thinking about it, this *usbmouse=off* lark is likely to impact the backup file which is sitting on an ext hard drive.

So what now..??

I am sure I am not the first Acronis user to have a wireless/usb keyboard and mouse setup.

Having purchased Acronis I now cannot use it to Restore an image of my c:\drive.

I am not sure how to move forward :huh:

How can I make an image backup that I can use to Restore my c:\drive when it misbehaves...

Thanks for your help with this Boris :flowers:

I am getting a little out of my depth here - but we are getting there. :blink:

I changed my boot sequence to boot from CD. Getting to the BIOS was tricky. With a Dell it's NOT pressing delete. (Its F2 or Ctrl+Alt+Enter or something) Anyway I got in and changed the boot sequence.

As I wasn't booting from the Acronis Recovery CD I have now tried that. No better :angry:

I tried using both cfg files (with and without the *usbmouse=off* ) No better :angry:

As you say the screen gives you a choice of options and I went to the full version with usb support.

Now I can see the Acronis menu and am able to navigate the screen with my wireless mouse. Hooray.

However Acronis cannot see my usb ext hard drive that contains the backup tib file.

Now what...

I don't know whether this will be helpful or not - but a few months ago I had an identical problem with Acronis 10 not finding my external USB2 hard drives.

I Emailed Acronis support and they were very pro-active - getting me to carry out a number of tests and sending them the results.

After a week of tooing and froing with Acronis - my computer suddenly stopped booting properly and would not boot from my Acronis recovery disc - I therefore re-installed Vista as a clean instal - it worked OK for a day (didn't try Acronis at that stage) before the crashing problem returned. It turned out to be the CPU over-heating due to the heatsink and fan becoming loose.

After getting the CPU properly seated the computer booted up fine and the Acronis recovery CD worked. To my releif the USB2 drives were found and the machine has been fine ever since.

In my case it seems to have been a developing hardware problem that caused problems.

I would suggetst you Email Acronis support - I found them very helpful.

Thank you for your helpful reply Alan :)

However, "After a week of tooing and froing with Acronis" is not the route I wish to take just yet.

Afterall the software should work, now..!! It makes me cross that the usb issue is not fixed. It seems that not only you and I are having issues with Acronis and usb. Acronis need to get their act together :angry:

In my present circumstances I simple do not have the time nor ability to do the tooing and froing - although I know deep down I know that you are right Alan, and that this will be the only way forward.

I the meantime I am nervous of working without the safety net of my backup...

If all else fails, could you install this drive internally?

Hello Scarecrow Man, yeah I though of that too :)

Trouble is the machine I have (DellC521) is a small form type - and there just ain't no room for a second hard drive.

That's what I do with my other PCs, copy the backup to the pc's second hard drive (as well as ext HDD).

If all else fails, could you install this drive internally?

Hello Scarecrow Man, yeah I though of that too :)

Trouble is the machine I have (DellC521) is a small form type - and there just ain't no room for a second hard drive.

That's what I do with my other PCs, copy the backup to the pc's second hard drive (as well as ext HDD).

I understand. I've never been fond of the small form factors. There is nothing wrong with a micro-ATX motherboard, but I always use a full sized case. In fact, I have a micro-atx board, but my case has nearly 10 drive bays.