Lotus Symphony

Scarecrow Man

IBM has joined the growing group of tech companies punting alternatives to Microsoft's omnipresent Office suite.

Its new Lotus Symphony package, which launched yesterday, includes word processing, spreadsheet and presentation programs and is available free of charge to Windows and Linux users.

The software uses the internationally recognised Open Document Format (ODF) allowing documents to be read by multiple software apps, unlike the standard adopted by Microsoft whose range of office products restrict different file types to one system.

Just last week IBM joined the OpenOffice.org development community, kicking off its participation by donating code it has developed for its Lotus Notes project.

Full Story

Lotus Symphony Home

god ...I had lotus on my comp once ..... Its was an absolute bastard to remove ,causing hangs and all sorts .... never again will it darken my hard drive (win 98 days )

I just lurve me open office ..does what it sez on the tin .....and its FREEE !

openoffice 2.3

It will open word ,powerpoint and excell ......

If one is familiar with Open Office or Star Office, why even look, never mind change, to yet another?

I think they've missed the boat.

Lotus also only includes Documents, Presentation and Spreadsheet. OpenOffice includes a equivalent to every program offered by Microsoft in the Office Professional version.

I think its good that IBM is taking a step forward towards open source like they said they would. It's just one more voice against the Microsoft cash machine.

I've been using all 3 for many years :)

Back in the early 80's I used 123 + Wordstar +DBase :0

Then I changed jobs and they used WordPerfect/Quattro Pro/Paradox (in the early 90's)

In 1998 they changed to Office 97 -> 2000 -> 2003 - so I followed along - but some of the useful (to me) features in WP +QP still don't exist in Excel + Word

At home I used 123/Word Pro as Lotus was bundled with a PC.

I can now use all 3 without really thinking :rolleyes: