Which version of Linux should I install?

Panarchy

It's a personal thing, but I think Ubuntu (for all it's odd name) is very good. I have played with a few, the last being Fedora 5 and previously SUSE 10, Linspire, Knoppix and Meppis. However Ubuntu seems to be much more to my liking. It seems to require less "nursing" but that may now be true of the others I have tried as the advancement in quality and ease of installation and use seems to be improving at a great rate. I suppose it is because the people behind all the different Lnux variations are doing because they like doing it and are interested in it, rather than doing it as a job just for money.

They are all variations on the basic Ubuntu. Kubuntu uses the KDE display system otherwise it is basically the same. I reckon it would be worth while ferreting around in http://www.google.com/linux ,

Many of the Distros (as they are foolishly called) have live CDs which you can run as a test on any PC without affecting Windows. They just boot up from the CD and leave everything on you HD intact.

I built myself a cheap computer to experiment on and downloaded various "Distros" from the Distro's web sites until I found one that was to my liking. All the downloads are gratis and are well worth playing with.

There are also several support sites, some almost as good as WF!!!

One of the things that I found very good is the fact that I have never yet had to load any drivers. All my external drives, card readers, printers, scanners etc have been P&P. There are one or two oddities with activating CD drives ("mounting" as the jargon has it) but I think that may be my fault as much as that of Linux.

You could try Linux Mint Cassandra, it is based on Ubuntu and comes with Video and Sound codecs.

It also has a program called Envy that allows you to install ATI or Nvidia drivers with two clicks. Also from the install it will allow you to read & write to NTFS partitions.

It can be run from a live CD and can be downloaded from here.

http://linux.softpedia.com/progDownload/Li...load-17252.html

As scarecrow man says try a some different live CD's and see which you fancy.

Use a CDRW to burn the ISO too, then if you do not like it, just erase it and burn another one.

Kubuntu, I love KDE desktop :D.

edubuntu is for education

and xubuntu is light weight, good for really crap machines.

PC Linux OS is rather good as well.

But after all the linux distros I've used I love kubuntu.

I think its more of what suits you.

I say try the best options fedora, ubuntu, pc linux, mandriva and slackware

There is a third option for installing Ubuntu, called WUBI.

This allows you to run Ubuntu within Windows and can be installed and uninstalled like a normal program in Windows, so no partioning or messing about with the MBR.

WUBI can be downloaded here,

http://wubi-installer.org/

I have tried this and it works without any problems.

They are all variations on the basic Ubuntu. Kubuntu uses the KDE display system otherwise it is basically the same. I reckon it would be worth while ferreting around in http://www.google.com/linux ,

Many of the Distros (as they are foolishly called) have live CDs which you can run as a test on any PC without affecting Windows. They just boot up from the CD and leave everything on you HD intact.

I built myself a cheap computer to experiment on and downloaded various "Distros" from the Distro's web sites until I found one that was to my liking. All the downloads are gratis and are well worth playing with.

There are also several support sites, some almost as good as WF!!!

One of the things that I found very good is the fact that I have never yet had to load any drivers. All my external drives, card readers, printers, scanners etc have been P&P. There are one or two oddities with activating CD drives ("mounting" as the jargon has it) but I think that may be my fault as much as that of Linux.

^And what distro did you end up choosing?

You could try Linux Mint Cassandra, it is based on Ubuntu and comes with Video and Sound codecs.

It also has a program called Envy that allows you to install ATI or Nvidia drivers with two clicks. Also from the install it will allow you to read & write to NTFS partitions.

It can be run from a live CD and can be downloaded from here.

http://linux.softpedia.com/progDownload/Li...load-17252.html

As scarecrow man says try a some different live CD's and see which you fancy.

Use a CDRW to burn the ISO too, then if you do not like it, just erase it and burn another one.

^That looks better then normal ubuntu, does it have all the Audio/video codecs?

Kubuntu, I love KDE desktop :D.

edubuntu is for education

and xubuntu is light weight, good for really crap machines.

PC Linux OS is rather good as well.

But after all the linux distros I've used I love kubuntu.

I think its more of what suits you.

I say try the best options fedora, ubuntu, pc linux, mandriva and slackware

^Can we have a vote on this? To see which one I should download and burn?

(I have already tried installing ubuntu, with hassle, I couldn't install it, I think it may be because of my hard-drive)

Thanks in advanced,

Panarchy

It's a personal thing, but I think Ubuntu (for all it's odd name) is very good. I have played with a few, the last being Fedora 5 and previously SUSE 10, Linspire, Knoppix and Meppis. However Ubuntu seems to be much more to my liking. It seems to require less "nursing" but that may now be true of the others I have tried as the advancement in quality and ease of installation and use seems to be improving at a great rate. I suppose it is because the people behind all the different Lnux variations are doing because they like doing it and are interested in it, rather than doing it as a job just for money.

I am sorry. I thought my original answer said that I was running Ubuntu now.

The poll idea, whilst being interesting from an academic point of view, will not help you to chose which one suits you. A wise old friend of mine always said it was impossible to describe the taste of an apple. So too I found with Linux. So I put together a cheap machine and tried some.

It's a bit of a pain, but it is educational (it taught me a lesson!) and very character forming.

• 7 months later...
See www.linuxlinux.co.nr

linux.jpg

I recommend Mandriva. They have the biggest group.

I am late in spotting this string.

Why hasn't anybody suggested openSUSE 10.3 ?

It is very user-friendly like Windows.

I have previously used Debian Sarge, but now am a staunch supporter of openSUSE 10.3.

For the first time users installation with Expert Mode is a bit tricky.

Dependency problems are almost nil.

For additional packages, packman and guru repositories are extremely helpful.

P.Rudra.

• 3 weeks later...