Puppy Linux

nellie2

I'm downloading this now... I think I'll give it a go! :)

Booting Linux from an external drive with the applications and settings of your choice has never been easier after this week's release of Puppy Linux 3.0. Like Damn Small Linux, Puppy is small enough to fit on a USB thumb drive, and like Knoppix , you can boot it from CD. Puppy can also add your favorite open source applications to the desktop and save multiple user profiles back to your writable CD or thumb drive, too. Let's take a look at how you can take your operating system, apps, data and user settings to go with Puppy Linux.

What You Can Do with Puppy

The two main uses for Puppy Linux (or any Linux live CD) are to:

* Rescue files from the host PC's hosed hard drive or perform various maintenance tasks (like imaging that drive)

* Compute on a machine without leaving a trace—like browser history, cookies, documents or any other files—behind on the internal hard drive

While there's a wide range of Linux live distro's available, Puppy Linux is a fantastic option which offers a full computing environment with rich graphical apps like the Mozilla Seamonkey suite, Word and Excel equivalents, calendar, chat and photo editors, too.

Taking Puppy Linux for a Walk

I love my puppy, there are several flavours of puppy available from a 50mb mean puppy to a complete office and graphics puppy too.

A very windows like experience for installing apps, be aware though single not double click is the norm with puppy, I've often opened a file twice

There's an excellent forum for puppy at http://murga-linux.com/puppy/

There are hiccups caused by by puppy's rapid development though, what works in one release may not work in the next, some wireless cards suffered in the transition from puppy 2.11 to 2.12.

Always backup before you upgrade.

-pops- it's well worth tinkering with, even if you only plan to use it as a rescue system.

Wiki page on puppy linux http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HowToUsePuppy

Currently running Puppy Linux, Firehydrant 3.01a, with firefox as the web browser, runs very well, faster than the seamonkey browser.

Unfortunately wifi is not very easy to configure as with many linux distros.

How are you getting on with it Nell ?

Anyone else tinkered with it yet?

post-5-1192562533_thumb.gif

Puppy's desktop

I'm considering to install puppy linux as a dualboot with my vista os. I have problems running Folding @ Home on vista and want to try to run folding on puppy...

Some tips to install this dual boot would be appreciated.

I'm dl it now, install will be something for tomorrow or the weekend.

I'm not sure puppy is suitable to run F@H , gagaman, When last I ran F@H I was running with 512mb ram, puppy is ideal for the smaller, older systems, however I'll give it a tinker at the weekend and see if I get any joy.

BTW there's no need for you to install puppy to your HD, it'll run nicely from the cd, Flash drive, some CF flash cards.

If running from the cd you can remove the cd once booted to play a music cd too.

a couple of more links to puppy reviews.

http://www.desktoplinux.com/articles/AT7455536044.html

http://www.stevehargadon.com/2007/04/amazi...d-computer.html

I love the range of FREE software available for it.

Posting from opera in puppy, no risk of hijackers, virii or trojans, and quick of course.

Earlier this year I set a friend up with a 1ghz 192mb system running puppy. It flies compared to XP on the same system, ME lags behind it too.

Make a backup of your pup_save file and you can tinker as much as you like with no risk.

spare time to fiddle ??

I've more time now that I'm spending more time in Puppy than windows as it boots and runs quicker than XP for me

^^^^^ am I allowed to say that !!^^^

I'm not sure puppy is suitable to run F@H , gagaman, When last I ran F@H I was running with 512mb ram, puppy is ideal for the smaller, older systems, however I'll give it a tinker at the weekend and see if I get any joy.

BTW there's no need for you to install puppy to your HD, it'll run nicely from the cd, Flash drive, some CF flash cards.

Thanks, mark2!

Imanaged to get the SMP client to fold in vista. So no need for a dualboot.

I think I will try to use puppy on a usb drive. Sounds handy as a recovery tool.

:flowers:

• 2 weeks later...