Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5

ɹəuəllıʍ ʇɐb

Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5

.NET Framework 3.5 builds incrementally on the new features added in .NET Framework 3.0. For example, feature sets in Windows Workflow Foundation (WF), Windows Communication Foundation (WCF), Windows Presentation Foundation (WPF) and Windows CardSpace. In addition, .NET Framework 3.5 contains a number of new features in several technology areas which have been added as new assemblies to avoid breaking changes. They include the following:

• Deep integration of Language Integrated Query (LINQ) and data awareness. This new feature will let you write code written in LINQ-enabled languages to filter, enumerate, and create projections of several types of SQL data, collections, XML, and DataSets by using the same syntax.
  • ASP.NET AJAX lets you create more efficient, more interactive, and highly-personalized Web experiences that work across all the most popular browsers.
  • New Web protocol support for building WCF services including AJAX, JSON, REST, POX, RSS, ATOM, and several new WS-* standards.
  • Full tooling support in Visual Studio 2008 for WF, WCF, and WPF, including the new workflow-enabled services technology.
  • New classes in .NET Framework 3.5 base class library (BCL) that address many common customer requests.

Most users probably won't need it. But if you already have .NET Framework 1.0, 1.1, 2.0, and 3.0 installed, you may as well install 3.5 on top of it. I have installed it, and my computer looks very happy B)

post-1524-1218598345_thumb.png

Apparently it's still BETA :unsure:

link

Back in July it was :P

Linkage to the nettage

The DOWNLOAD link will download a small file and when run it will perform another download over the internet to obtain the stuff you don't have.

If you scroll down to .NET Framework 3.5 full package this contains everything [inc 64bit stuff].

Aslo be aware that 3.5 also includes 2 w/ SP1 and 3 w/ SP1.

Apparently it's still BETA :unsure:

link

Back in July it was :P

Linkage to the nettage

The DOWNLOAD link will download a small file and when run it will perform another download over the internet to obtain the stuff you don't have.

If you scroll down to .NET Framework 3.5 full package this contains everything [inc 64bit stuff].

Aslo be aware that 3.5 also includes 2 w/ SP1 and 3 w/ SP1.

Cheers Chris.

I've updated myself now :hi:

Do you have a link for the appropriate download please? :flowers:

Sorry for that!

Am I right in thinking that I can get rid of the older .NET Framework versions (highlighted) or should I leave things as they are ?

Leave 'em.

Unlike other run-time libraries (e.g. Java RTE), .NET Framework versions are not cumulative. For the time being, they all co-exist.

Some more (direct) links if anybody wants them :-

> HERE < - 2.7MB

> HERE < - 200MB Full Redist Package

The .NET Framework 3.5 adds new features in several major technology areas; including:

• Deep integration of Language Integrated Query (LINQ) and data awareness

• ASP.NET AJAX for quickly creating more efficient, more interactive and highly-personalized Web experiences that work across all the most popular browsers

• New web protocol support for building WCF services including AJAX, JSON, REST, POX, RSS, ATOM and several new WS-* standards

• Full tooling support for WF, WCF and WPF including the new workflow-enabled services technology

• New classes in the base class library (BCL) for the .NET Framework 3.5 address the most common customer requests.

.NET Framework 3.5 is planned to release at the end of 2007 and will ship with Visual Studio code name ”Orcas” and will also continue to be available for separate download from MSDN.

System Requirements:

- Supported Operating Systems: Windows Server 2003; Windows Vista; Windows XP

- Processor: 400 MHz Pentium processor or equivalence (Minimum), 1GHz Pentium processor or equivalence (Recommended)

- RAM: 96 MB (Minimum), 256 MB (Recommended)

- Hard Disk: Up to 500 MB or available space may be required

- CD or DVD Drive: Not required

- Display: 800 x 600, 256 colors (Minimum), 1024 x 768 high color, 32-bit (Recommended)

Homepage - http://msdn.microsoft.com/netframework/

;)

• 8 months later...

Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1 is now available.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...19-81da479ab0d7

The installer download is 2.8MB, but once the installer started, it will download another 52MB.

P.S. I am surprised that this service pack was not offered as part of today's Microsoft updates (not even optional).

Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1 is now available.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...19-81da479ab0d7

The installer download is 2.8MB, but once the installer started, it will download another 52MB.

P.S. I am surprised that this service pack was not offered as part of today's Microsoft updates (not even optional).

Sorry if I am repeating myself Pat, but did you tell me some time ago that .NET 3 was not normally required by the likes of me?

Or, have I dreamt it? :rolleyes:

It was a rather unusual download. It showed the total MB downloaded, and this backtracked several times then shot forward again. The installation was very slow but got there eventually. :D

It was exactly the same here and at first I thought the installation had failed :huh:

Sorry if I am repeating myself Pat, but did you tell me some time ago that .NET 3 was not normally required by the likes of me?

I know several applications that require .NET Framework 2.0, but I don't know any that require 3.0 or 3.5. So if you do not have it installed, and everything works fine, then you don't need it. In fact, if an application requires it, then it won't install until the appropriate version of the .NET Framework is installed.

It was a rather unusual download. It showed the total MB downloaded, and this backtracked several times then shot forward again. The installation was very slow but got there eventually. :D

I have observed exactly the same thing, but it eventually went through :flowers:

I know several applications that require .NET Framework 2.0, but I don't know any that require 3.0 or 3.5. So if you do not have it installed, and everything works fine, then you don't need it. In fact, if an application requires it, then it won't install until the appropriate version of the .NET Framework is installed.

Thanks Pat, that's what I thought you said before.

I already have .NET Framework 2.0, no problems and all seems fine. :flowers: